Honored Contributor

Re: Age 65 is called Elderly?

Today we live in a world that views growing older with such distain. Sad indeed! Embrace my 58 years, No 48 isn't my age! Stop saying that. Had this discussion recently. Carrie Fisher unexpectedly passing! Along with my ex husband same age, I never take life for granted. The fact, Time moves quickly with each passing day! I'm not wasting mine on what others think. Live and Let Live.
Trusted Contributor

Your as old as you feel, young or elderly....I read an article just recently that stated 28 is over the hill.  So be happy, and healthy and enjoy your life.  I am over 65, don't care about numbers just that I feel very well.  Not sure why you don't like to be called elderly, doesn't matter to me.  JMO!

Esteemed Contributor

Age is just a number; however, I prefer the word "senior" to the word "elderly".

Happy Tuesday

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

50 years ago

now not so much

80 is

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I guess I thought of elderly as about 75.  A newscaster was on TV and said that 65 was elderly.  Today I just do not think of the  age decade of 60 as eldery. Maybe years ago when people were considered old at 50.

This is one of the best reasons ever to "Change the Channel".  

@Perkup   I'd speak louder than "change the channel".   It's so easy now with email and social media to give people your opinion.   I'm sure youngsters in broadcasting have no idea it's offensive to some.   Why don't you people speak up or "perkup"?

it's not offensive,   too easy for that to happen these days.

they could say  65 year old man or woman, without the descriptor elderly

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I guess I thought of elderly as about 75.  A newscaster was on TV and said that 65 was elderly.  Today I just do not think of the  age decade of 60 as eldery. Maybe years ago when people were considered old at 50.

This is one of the best reasons ever to "Change the Channel".  

@Perkup   I'd speak louder than "change the channel".   It's so easy now with email and social media to give people your opinion.   I'm sure youngsters in broadcasting have no idea it's offensive to some.   Why don't you people speak up or "perkup"?

You are absolutely right.  I often so contact offensive folks on television, but just don't share that with the Board. Not that it matters, I'm sure, but  I'm so often referred to as elderly here that it seems pointless to draw in those comments.  I'm 82 right now and don't consider myself elderly yet. Older and more experienced, YES. But to me elderly means less agile, and possibly less sharp mentally - it really has nothing to do with age. I know people in their late 90's  who are definitely not elderly yet.

But DH and I were advised by someone very savvy about such things not to get involved with social media. We've never had any reason to question our decision not to participate. Your info is too open out there in the clouds!

Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

If you asked me when I was 20 I would say yes 65 is elderly. At 55 I say no. Perspective.

@Nancy Drew  This is SO TRUE!  I remember when I was about 24 and I was  a nanny for a lady with two little boys. She was 33 or so and I thought she was SO OLD!. And 40 was like Elderly to me at age 24.  It is a perspective from where you are at.

Honored Contributor

If one goes by the statistical lifespan estimate, thirty-five is middle aged, so sixty-five would be considered elderly, but ONLY statistically speaking.  People are looking younger and living longer, and no matter what age I am, I still feel very young, though at times, my body lets me know that I am older than I feel.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't consider it elderly at all. The people in their 60's that I know don't act it or look it. Actually, I guess the ones I am thinking of are early 70's. They have stayed active, and never quit having fun, I think that helps.

Valued Contributor

I call myself a "Seasoned Citizen" instead of "Senior Citizen".  I used to say I was a Junior Senior citizen - but those days have passed.Woman Very Happy