Trusted Contributor

Adult Cyberbullying/Trolling - What is it?

This is a topic I have been learning more and more about. I thought I knew what it meant until I did further research. Most websites focus on this as mainly a teenage phenomenon, rightly enough, but it is also rampant with regards to adults and can cause just as much distress in adults as in children. 

I cannot tell anyone here how to post on this thread, but my desire is that an honest and civil discussion can be had here.

Yesterday a very interesting blog article was referenced, and I will add a few more:

http://annerallen.blogspot.ca/2015/07/public-shaming-cyberbullies-and-hive.html;

http://journals.sfu.ca/ysa/index.php/YSA/article/viewFile/78/98;

Here is an exerpt: 

"Those people who
hide behind a mask of anonymity to abuse or harass or intimidate other people make a claim for freedom of expression, but this in fact is a direct attack on freedom of expression, to bully other people out of the forum so that they’re intimidated and threat- ened and in fear so they can’t express themselves. And if we agree to that, only the bullies will be
left crowing on-line and everybody else who wants to engage in civil discourse and exchange of ideas"
will leave the forum. It’s the opposite of freedom
of expression.

Prof. Michael Fraser, UTS Communications Law Centre3

Exerpt:

"Adult cyber bullying often takes the form of “trolling.” The word comes from a reference to the method of catching fish by trolling a baited line in the water and waiting for a fish to bite. In the same sense, the Internet troll tries to “catch” an unsuspecting victim to demean and humiliate. Trolls are an annoying problem for those who use the Internet regularly. They are present on social media and in the comments sections of various websites, articles, blogs, and other online forums."

--------------

"A new study seeks to classify the personalities of those who engage in trolling and to dissect this predatory behavior. The report by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two of her colleagues investigated the behavior patterns of people who enjoyed online trolling and investigated whether they possessed personality traits exhibiting manipulation and deceit, narcissism, an absence of remorse, and/or a willingness to inflict pain on others."

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Adult Cyberbullying/Trolling - What is it?

I haven't been up long enough to dive into the full articles, but I would say the excerpts pretty much sum it up.

A lot of times, I think those types seek to dish back a lot of what they have been given. People who have been belittled for one reason or another, seeking out someone to belittle, often times, for the same "faults" they see in themselves.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

Wonderful post!!!  Adult Cyberbullying creates the exact same outcome as child bullying.  Yet, we have some parents that will discipline their children for bulling others and yet they are bullying others on social sites.  Sad but true that many times the outcome is the same as a young adult.  To those that work with people dealing with emotional or physical abuse it is a fact that social sites are used to relieve stress, have a place to feel safe and wanted.  Unfortunately, since  others are unfamiliar with people in cyber space, many will doubt what they say or attack their every word.  I have seen circumstances where people will be followed from social site to social site to be harassed by certain adults.  I would like to make clear that I am not speaking of a debate on a subject but ridicule of any subject a person being bullied brings up.  I have not seen bullying on this forum, but those of you that have posted for years would be more aware of it.   Adults can be brutal to others as quickly as young adults can.  Sad but true and at times we are all guilty of it but at least we do not continually harass anyone on purpose.   Can't wait to see what insight others have on this great subject to share.   One death from Cyber Bullying is one too many.  

Honored Contributor

Good luck with this thread adelina :-) you're braver than I am ;-)
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I think, too, that sometimes it's people of intelligence who know exactly what they are doing, but who lack the reasoning skills to understand that they should not, even though they "can".

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@betteb wrote:

I haven't been up long enough to dive into the full articles, but I would say the excerpts pretty much sum it up.

A lot of times, I think those types seek to dish back a lot of what they have been given. People who have been belittled for one reason or another, seeking out someone to belittle, often times, for the same "faults" they see in themselves.

No problem, I woke up at the crack of dawn (or before!) for some reason.

There are so many websites - governmental, academic and others - that are dedicated to studying and providing advice regarding this phenomenon. It is a very real problem, which I believe many still do not take seriously enough. 

I liked the bit about this being "the opposite of freedom of expression."

Honored Contributor

While I believe it's often people who understand full well that they should not, but just enjoy doing it.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I think, too, that sometimes it's people of intelligence who know exactly what they are doing, but who lack the reasoning skills to understand that they should not, even though they "can".

They know what they are doing, that's for sure, but I think they also know it's wrong. 

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:
Good luck with this thread adelina :-) you're braver than I am ;-)

Ha ha ha ha.   This is something that I feel very strongly about, moonchilde. I have seen the consequences of it up close and personal.

Honored Contributor

I've seen people follow others from thread to thread here so this is not a big surprise about cyber bullying.

But I have also seen trolls confronted and some turn tail and leave to avoid confrontation. Some can dole it out but when the tables are turned go running with their tails between their legs so to speak.

Trolls do not care at all about other people's feelings, they lack the awareness of the hurt and harm they do to others. The anonimity of the Internet also enables this to occur with more frequency than say in personal face to face experiences.

Great topic and I hope it stays up.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼