Respected Contributor

Did I hear that right?  I've heard a song or 2 but not in it's entireity. She has a nice voice but not the best singer I ever heard. Nothing against Adele, glad for her recognition but I would not buy her music. I am a old school 60's motown fan. That's when they made good music. I still have many albums and 45's.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Adele named best singer?

Best in what category? Compared to who?

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I am a 70's, "disco fan"...but I love Adelle.  I have her CDs....amazing voice.  In fact, I think she should have been the half time entertainment for the 50th Super Bowl. 

Esteemed Contributor

Great choice !
Honored Contributor

She is a very good singer.  The criticism she gets (including me as the reason I don't like her) is that she's a weak songwriter.  Her songs are very forgettable on their own.  It's rare to get a spectacular voice and an outstanding song writer.  But that's not the case with Adele.  As best singer?  Certainly.  This is the era of singers like Katy Perry.  You know?  Not the best voice wise.

Esteemed Contributor

Best???  She didn't get that title from me!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Come on people, everyone has different taste in music. Why does it have to be a contest ?? I'm

66 and I like Adele, some rap , motown, even some country. I try to listen to all sorts of music,some I like, some not so much . I remember my mother makink fun of  Bob Dylan, who I

loved. I try to keep an open mind.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Best singer for what and compared to who?  Since I haven't actually heard ALL of the other singers, I wouldn't know.  I think she's a good singer and I like some of her songs, but I don't think a person is qualified to say someone is the best unless they've heard many other singers.

For instance, I would think there are some gospel singers that have amazing voices.  I don't listen to it, so I don't know.  How about jazz singers?  I don't care for jazz but there are probably some great jazz singers.  You understand what I'm saying?

Best singer in what category?  People mix up the best of anything with the most popular at the time.  The most popular doesn't necessarily mean the best.  

Esteemed Contributor

Geez, I do pretty good - in the shower!

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

I've never thought much of polls like this.  The winner is often whoever's popular at the time.  Adele has a lovely voice but she's not the best singer I've ever heard.  Who were they comparing her to?  Whitney Houston, Stephanie Mills, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin, Karen Carpenter, Taylor Dane, Mahalia Jackson, Tina Turner, Alicia Keys, Yolanda Adams, and a dozen other singers with beautiful, strong voices could top someone's list.