Super Contributor

The last couple days, I've been hearing the cries of a baby deer. 

At first I thought it was a bird, but then saw a tiny fawn pacing along a line of trees, against a field fence, in our front yard.

We're a thoroughfare for deer and so I thought the cries would be answered by mama.

Hubby says sometimes lone babies will be adoped by another mama if it comes along. 

Well, this morning the poor thing is still pacing and crying.

I looked up deer rehabilitation in my area.  I'm just wondering how they will catch it when it's wandering so much.

Just now, I think it went back down to the creek for a drink, so it has that.  We have lots of greenery here, but I don't know if it's too young to sustain itself with that.

Honored Contributor

@timeless   I'd call you state fish and game department for help. Mama deer often "park" their babies to leave and graze leaving people to think they've been abandoned when they are not.  However, if this has been going on for several days, there's reason for concern.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@timeless,

I know that must be heartbreaking to hear.

Look up Wildlife Rescue and see if there is one in your county you can call.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Re: Abandoned Fawn

[ Edited ]

About a year ago, in the summer, we kept hearing what I thought was a goat.  It sounded like goat to my city ears, but it turned out to be a fawn.  It kept sliding in and out of the tree line two houses down.  That neighbor called DNR who did come out.  They couldn't find it but did tell us to stay away from it. Once humans interfere, mother may not come back.  It's not unusual for her to leave them especially if predators are nearby. She doesn't want to reveal her baby's location.  I thought that was so wild.  He also said remember to never feed deer or wild animals. These folks who make deer comfortable with humans are setting them up.  There's a reason they bolt when they see you.  Also, if you interfere with their natural diet in the wild, they can become severed malnutritioned.   He reminded us that while they are beautiful, they are wild for a reason and to leave them be.  

I hope that little fawn will soon be rounded up by his mom.  After the call to DNR, we never heard it again so I'm sure nature took its course.

Esteemed Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

About a year ago, in the summer, we kept hearing what I thought was a goat.  It sounded like goat to my city ears, but it turned out to be a fawn.  It kept sliding in and out of the tree line two houses down.  That neighbor called DNR who did come out.  They couldn't find it but did tell us to stay away from it. Once humans interfere, mother may not come back.  It's not unusual for her to leave them especially if predators are nearby. She doesn't want to reveal her baby's location.  I thought that was so wild.  He also said remember to never feed deer or wild animals. These folks who make deer comfortable with humans are setting them up.  There's a reason they bolt when they see you.  Also, if you interfere with their natural diet in the wild, they can become severed malnutritioned.   He reminded us that while they are beautiful, they are wild for a reason and to leave them be.  

I hope that little fawn will soon be rounded up by his mom.  After the call to DNR, we never heard it again so I'm sure nature took its course.

@bmorechick   I'm always tempted to feed the deer in our yard ,  we are surrounded by woods so a lot of deer .  I've learned from others though that it isn't wise to do so just for the same reasons you've stated .   They are such beautiful creatures and I do love watching them though......  Especially with moms and fawns together so sweet.

Respected Contributor
I hope the fawn is back w/ it’s mama. 🙏. I have a fawn and mama doe in my backyard also. I know I’m not supposed to, but I feed them apple pieces once in a while and they love them. Thanks for calling DNR about it.
Respected Contributor

@timeless Call the Game Warden. In our area we call the police department to reach one. Yours may have a designated office under the Department of Game and Fish. They will come out and determine the best course of action. These guys know individuals who can take in abandoned babies.

Honored Contributor

Re: Abandoned Fawn

[ Edited ]

In this rural area of WV, a call to a DNR officer is pointless; they will not come out to remove an "abandoned" fawn.   Does leave their fawns for a lengthy period of time; newborn/younger ones will stay hidden in tall grass or a thicket where mom leaves them, but older ones will leave the cover of safety and bleat repeatedly for their mother, but rarely leave that immediate area.   Human scent on that baby or in that area will pretty much guarantee the mother will not come back for her baby.  DNR officers here tell us to absolutely leave the fawns alone no matter how pitiful they appear.  

Honored Contributor

Also @MamaWick fosters deer.  She is a wealth of information!

Respected Contributor

We have a herd of about 30 deer that traverse our property each day. In my experience, the does return at night to feed their fawns. It would be a bad sign if the baby is left unattended for over a day or 2.

Here in my section of PA I'd call the Game Commision.