Honored Contributor

I was playing a game online with my 12 year old nephew yesterday - I named all the states and all but 2 of their capitals. He was very impressed. He couldn't get them all correct despite that he is currently studying them in school. I told him I studied them 55 years ago and he better get on the ball. How can you drive across the country if you don't know what state you are in ? And this kid gets straight A all the time.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I was playing a game online with my 12 year old nephew yesterday - I named all the states and all but 2 of their capitals. He was very impressed. He couldn't get them all correct despite that he is currently studying them in school. I told him I studied them 55 years ago and he better get on the ball. How can you drive across the country if you don't know what state you are in ? And this kid gets straight A all the time.

You are nearly 70 years old. He is 12. His brain isn't even fully developed yet.

Why would you think he should have all the knowledge that you do?

Why would you feel  so superior to a 12 year old for goodness sakes.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

That's so cool you beat a 12 year old. You must feel very satisfied. 

Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

These youth-bashing threads come up so often here.  

Think back to when you were 20 years old. Did you know or care very much about 100 year old history?  Could you have named two SCOTUS?  Did you have details about pop stars of your parents or grand-parents era?   Yes, I had a good working knowledge of the Civil War, but I doubt I could have given you the exact years it was fought when I was 20. I knew who the president and VP were but that's it. I couldn't have named any cabinent members. At 20, I had other things on my mind. It wasn't until later that I started paying attention to that kind of stuff.

You do realize that Jay Leno only puts the dumb answers on TV, don't you?

You do realize that not everything on the internet is true, don't you?

Our generation has it's own "dumbness". 

Science deniers. 

Gossip believers

Blind trust in media accuracy

It's silly and arrogant to expect a 20 year old to be interested in the exact same things I am interested in at 60.  I've got 40 years of experience on them. Their time will come.

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks for putting into words exactly how I felt about this thread. You completely captured every point I was about to post myself.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

That is very sad. The very sad thing is that they most likely know every fact about the Kardashians. 

A few years ago, I met my friends niece who was visiting from out of town. She was 21 yrs old and I forget exactly how the subject was brought up but we started talking about the Holocaust. She had no idea what that meant. She didn't recognize the names Adolf Hitler nor did she know what was done to the Jews. I was completely shocked and so was my friend. She said she was embarrassed. She kept telling her niece to stop fooling around as we both just thought she was joking. She swore up and down she wasn't joking at all. 

Was this child home schooled? Because in the states I have lived in the kids have to take mandatory history classes and pass them in order to graduate.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A survey on facebook..

[ Edited ]

I can name the Vice President. I can name who won the American Civil War. I can name from whom the U.S. won independence. I can also name Snooky's show and Brad Pitt's wife. However, I don't think that makes me a genius or makes a statement about my overall aptitude.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

You do realize that he's only been on earth for 12 years, right?  And -- you have a nephew who is 12 years old and you're 60+?

Respected Contributor

Re: A survey on facebook..

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Maybe he was letting you win.  I wouldn't doubt his intelligence in the least! 

Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

These youth-bashing threads come up so often here.  

Think back to when you were 20 years old. Did you know or care very much about 100 year old history?  Could you have named two SCOTUS?  Did you have details about pop stars of your parents or grand-parents era?   Yes, I had a good working knowledge of the Civil War, but I doubt I could have given you the exact years it was fought when I was 20. I knew who the president and VP were but that's it. I couldn't have named any cabinent members. At 20, I had other things on my mind. It wasn't until later that I started paying attention to that kind of stuff.

You do realize that Jay Leno only puts the dumb answers on TV, don't you?

You do realize that not everything on the internet is true, don't you?

Our generation has it's own "dumbness". 

Science deniers. 

Gossip believers

Blind trust in media accuracy

It's silly and arrogant to expect a 20 year old to be interested in the exact same things I am interested in at 60.  I've got 40 years of experience on them. Their time will come.

No, sorry but these aren't some obscure history questions. Who is the vice prez, who won the civil war and what country did we get our independence from????? EVERYONE should know that. I am sure there are people in their 40s, 50s and up who don't know that either so I don't think it is exclusive to just younger people. I think it is a really sad state of affairs though if a person doesn't know those questions. 

I also don't expect a 20 yr old to have the same interests and I know some people don't get a real interest or appreciate history until they get a little older but this is stuff everyone should know. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

That's exactly why I have always said that December  7th will not live in infamy, contrary to what President Franklin D. Roosevelt said.

Even what happened on 9/11 will loose its importance.

Those dates won't have the same meaning to future generations, as it does to those who lived through those important dates.

I think it's because they don't have an emotional connection to those dates.

They may have a distant relative who was at Pearl Harbor, or fought in WWII, or was in N.Y.C., when tragedy happened, but, if they didn't actually know thoses people, then I think it's harder for them to relate to the significance of the dates.

I think when our grandchildren have grandchildren, it'll all be but forgotten.

I don't know if anybody ever watched the segment "Jay Walking" when Jay Leno was hosting the "Tonight Show", but it showed just how dumbed down this country has become.

There are so many wonderful books, fiction and nonfiction, that can make the events and feelings of those historical times come alive for folks who weren't around to experience them.  There are also lots of movies and documentaries that are interesting and informative, too.  

Today, on our local PBS, there have been individual stories of WWII heroes, some told in their own words, others, narrated.  All so interesting and remarkable.