Honored Contributor

All the people asked were in their 20's. The questions - Who is the Vice President? Who won the civil War? Who did the United States win their independance from? Not even one correct answer. BUT when asked what show is Snooky on and who is Brad Pitt married to - all correct answers. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ignorance isn't limited to one age group.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Unfortunately you're right, but I'd bet it you asked those same questions of someone over the age of 60 you'd get nearly 100% correct.  You have to wonder, just what are they teaching in schools now.  And that includes college.  So why aren't we teaching these things to our children at home?

Honored Contributor

When I need something repaired on my computer system, I call my 18-year-old nephew to help me out.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

All the people asked were in their 20's. The questions - Who is the Vice President? Who won the civil War? Who did the United States win their independance from? Not even one correct answer. BUT when asked what show is Snooky on and who is Brad Pitt married to - all correct answers. 

@151949- I saw the same survey on Facebook a few weeks ago and was aghast. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

And exactly where did I say it was - this was how the survey was presented. Sheesh.

Honored Contributor

To give credit where credit is due - one young woman did say the VP is John Biden.

Respected Contributor

I see these kind of surveys all the time.  A great number done on college campuses.  You don't think ignorance is limited to one age group?  Well, while I can agree with that statement in general, it has to be troubling to know young people not only don't know these answers, they don't care.  Yes, they can show you how to use a feature in your cell phone in an instant, but seriously, that's impressive if that's all they got??  You have to be grounded in something to build from.   

Esteemed Contributor

I saw a few interviews on college campuses, where students were asked questions like, "Who fought the Civil War?" and "Who was our first president?" and "What is the Cold War?" Honestly, they didn't have a clue.

The young men blew it off, and the ladies giggled and acted cutesy, and said things like "I guess I should know this, huh."

Uh yeah, you should. It made me so embarrassed for our country. And scared for our future.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Re: A survey on facebook..

[ Edited ]

That is very sad. The very sad thing is that they most likely know every fact about the Kardashians. 

A few years ago, I met my friends niece who was visiting from out of town. She was 21 yrs old and I forget exactly how the subject was brought up but we started talking about the Holocaust. She had no idea what that meant. She didn't recognize the names Adolf Hitler nor did she know what was done to the Jews. I was completely shocked and so was my friend. She said she was embarrassed. She kept telling her niece to stop fooling around as we both just thought she was joking. She swore up and down she wasn't joking at all. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK