Esteemed Contributor

Re: A product used in a unintended way

@SilleeMee wrote:

Oh I love this topic @dex.

Can't wait to see our inventors!

I have many. But one I use everyday  I made for my dog. I have a terrible problem with my (scleroderma) hands and I can't grasp my dog's tennis ball so I put inside an old sock . This gives me a "handle" on the ball and makes it easy for me to get if from her mouth.Smiley Happy She likes playing tug with it, too. You can't do that with just a plain ball.Smiley Happy

I did that, too, @SilleeMee.  My reason was because my puppy's teeth are like needles and he wants me to pull the ball out of his mouth in a tug of war fashion.  The sock handle saves my fingers. Smiley Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I've used toothpaste (white) to clear my car headlights which were "cloudy."  Worked liked a charm.  I learned this from YouTube.

I've used a squeezed lemon to blond my "rat's tail." 

I use Octogon soap & a toothbrush to clean my stainless steel jewelry 2x a year.

Oley soap bar to "condition" my hair.  Just started doing this as I am letting my hair grow out for the winter.

White Vinager & newspaper to clean mirrors & windows.

That's all I can think of for now..... Smiley Tongue

@Mz iMac  What do you mean by "rat's tail"?  Does the lemon whiten your hair?  If so, I have to try this.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I use:

1.  Toothpaste (whatever is on sale) and old toothbrush to clean my jewelry.

2.  Suave shampoo as bubble bath and to do hand laundry  (excellent in removing makeup).  It's wonderful on hand washable woolens ... followed by a bit of hair conditioner in the rinse.

3.  Eye shadow makes the perfect eyebrow makeup - brushed on the eyebrow, not on the skin

I just thought of another one ....

4.  You know those "quick shine" sponge things they sell for shoes ... they are great on leather coats, jackets and bags ... in addition to your shoes. It gives everything a nice sheen and softens the leather.

AND ... I also use them on my faux leather.  

Just a word of caution about your #4.  DH bought one of these several years ago to use on his shoes.  He probably used it ten times.  After about a year and a half, the leather on his shoes began to crack and peel. Awful mess.  I don't know if it was just those shoes or it this happens often.

Respected Contributor

A repeat of something I've mentioned more than once before.

If you suffer from leg cramps at night, put an open bar of Ivory soap in between your sheets, so that your legs/feet can touch it once in a while. My DH suffered terribly from night cramps until he read in a news article that it might help you to try this.  He did it, and for eight years (until he passed) he never had leg cramps again. It was a small miracle, but a welcome one.

Respected Contributor

@Perkup  I saw this one and tried it.  I was highly skeptical, but in need of something.  So I sheepishly slid a fresh bar of soap under the sheet.  I mean, common sense should tell you this would never do a thing...

The soap stays!

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

In case you missed the thread that I started re: toothpaste:  I used GEL toothpaste (no whiteners, etc.) to wash my hands, then rinse off with water.  It worked very well.  Great for keeping in our cars or for traveling, etc. (as long as we have water handy for rinsing).  Make sure it's the gel type, not the regular paste. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs

I have dark brown hair.  The lemon juice turns my hair a golden blond.

Rat's tail is the long hair on the back of one's head if your hair is short.  Click on the pic of my avatar showing my rat's tail.

On a sunny day, soak the tail in lemon juice (directly from the lemon).  Go outside & let the sun air dry. 

When I rinse the tail out by the end of the day, its color has turned to a golden blond shade. 

The color is permenant = grows out.  The lemon acid strips out your natural color.

HTH

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I've used toothpaste (white) to clear my car headlights which were "cloudy."  Worked liked a charm.  I learned this from YouTube.

I've used a squeezed lemon to blond my "rat's tail." 

I use Octogon soap & a toothbrush to clean my stainless steel jewelry 2x a year.

Oley soap bar to "condition" my hair.  Just started doing this as I am letting my hair grow out for the winter.

White Vinager & newspaper to clean mirrors & windows.

That's all I can think of for now..... Smiley Tongue

@Mz iMac  What do you mean by "rat's tail"?  Does the lemon whiten your hair?  If so, I have to try this.

Also try using thin slices or wedges cut like you would to balance on the rim of a glass to run thin sections of hair through to create natural highlights! You have to go out in the sun for it to work well!

I thought of another one...I use brown eyeshadow to touch up my roots in between coloring! I just use an old makeup brush and dab it along the part! Just as good as the $20 something products made for this purpose! I sure wish someone could tell me how to cover my gray in a completely natural way! I can't use henna and I don't care if my hair is blonde or brown, just so it's not grey! ( preferably not too red, either!)

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use coffee filters -- 1 per pot when potting up divisions of perennials so the soil doesn't leach out when watering them. I also use an old chef knife to divide perennials instead of using a shovel or spade.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Does anyone know if dark black coffee would stain hair (cover the grey)? It stains everything else! I hate putting chemicals all over my head so often, but my grey is hideous!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.