Valued Contributor

Re: A new scam - you have to be constantly vigilent

Just yesterday, my husband got an email from "Amazon" saying they had mistakenly charged him twice for his recent purchase, and that he needed to confirm his details, so they could issue a refund. Luckily, he realized it for a scam, because we haven't bought anything from Amazon in recent months. But, the email sure looked official. We forwarded it to Amazon's scam department, and they verified it is a scam.

Another clue was that the sending address for the email had an "edu" as the last three letters--meaning it was coming from someone's school email address.

Never click in a link in any email--even if it looks legit. Aways go to the verified company website to conduct business.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

What would concern me is how did the scammer know that I was a member of the Y, and how they connected that to my email address. Has the Y's security been breached? 

IMO this is an issue for the YMCA to pursue, not me. I am sure they are doing just that.

Honored Contributor

1.  if you are suspicious about an email   look at the email address    of origin, even is it says its from Apple or Human if you go to properties you can see where it's really from

2.  as I have said many times before let every call go to voice mail, that call from Humana would probably have hung up a real call, would have left a message. 

Honored Contributor

noodleann wrote:

What would concern me is how did the scammer know that I was a member of the Y, and how they connected that to my email address. Has the Y's security been breached? 

@noodleann,  In most cases the criminals sending these things have no idea if the email addresses are active or if the email users have any association with the organization in the message.    It's a numbers game, playing the odds that they'll hit on someone who will click a link and enter personal data.   They make millions doing this.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

The easiest way not to be caught up in a scam like this is to never, ever click on a link in an email. If you feel the issue is real or want to answer it, alway go directly to the website itself and on your own. There have always been scammers, cons and scams. With the advent of email and social media it's just another way to separate s fool and their money. As P.T. Barnum said: "There's a sucker born every minute." People need to use their brains and common sense.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

IMO this is an issue for the YMCA to pursue, not me. I am sure they are doing just that.

I understand, but I'd want to make sure they didn't have any financial data on their books. This just doesn't seem random. It could also be in-house. And the Y isn't going to want to go public with it, either way.

After being notified by WM that someone had tried to get into my WM account, I changed the password and then deleted all my payment details. No purchase can now be made without entering complete payment data. It's a hassle, but better safe than sorry.

Valued Contributor

@151949 

My brother got a call from some not sure what company who asked him  * CAN YOU HEAR ME?*   He hung up the phone.    good grief!   SCAM ALERT! they use the YES you reply against you in various no count ways.   

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NO CALL LIST BY OUR GOVERNMENT??  And another thing, I want these horrible ROBO CALLS to just stop. They fill up my Call Blocker! 

I have a visual/audio caller ID and it is used to screen ALL  calls.   Plus CALL BLOCKER! 

I have tried to warn my 85yo Dad to not tak to these SCAM CALLS!!  DANGER DANGER!  

you just cannot be too careful these days, 

CAT