Honored Contributor

All this talk of "Shrovetide (pre-Lenten) eating (see Shrovetide thread) got me worked up.

I wanted to make something that is rich, and sort of decadent and "meat-predominant".

(My caveat is that we don't eat that much meat normally-- I like vegetarian cooking, but my guys would be heart-broken if we eliminated meat entirely.)

So, for our rich blow-out I decided on cassoulet, since I have most of the ingredients on hand--  chicken, white beans, herb sausage, bacon, onion, garlic. tomato sauce, parsley, etc.

My current recipe is for "quick cassoulet" and I used to combine it with another cassoulet recipe to get the best results, but I lost that one.  So not sure how this baby will turn out, but, ever hopeful!

Anyone else love this rich, peasant-y dish?

Honored Contributor

Hi @Oznell

We've been sharing recipes for Mardi Gras over on the QVC RECIPE board if you're interested.

I'm making dirty rice and salad for Tuesday night, and pancakes for Shrove.

This morning, our daughter is bringing over fresh hot bignets any minute now  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I've never eaten it but it sounds good.

The 2 Fat Ladies made something similar on one of their programs

There are quite a few youtubes   with them cooking things ,like a  version of your dish.

Clarissa, God rest her soul, has a few youtubes on  historical  British cooking ,you might enjoy.

She also has a very lovely one, where she is interviewed by a female Anglican priest , that I greatly  enjoyed, and highly recommend it.

Honored Contributor

Mouth-watering, Noel7.   Oh, shrimp remoulade, chilled and spicy!   Oh, pralines!

Honored Contributor

I really like the 2 Fat Ladies, cherry.  I didn't realize one of them was gone-- so sorry to hear that.

Respected Contributor

When we were out celebrating back in the day- Popeye's  fried chicken with a side of red beans and rice was the order of the day.....and whatever other delicacies came our way!

At midnight, everything shuts down except one or two places like Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets.  When we were in college, a student favorite and Uptown Icon- Camilia Grill was open 24/7......oh, I do miss the glorious food!

Oh-how could I forget??? Back then, there were only 1 or 2 places that were open in the French Quarter and Takee Outee was one of them.  Back then, there was one close to Pat O'Brien's.....what a great place to absorb the alcohol we had that night!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Oznell, it's been ages since I've had it, but I love Cassoulet! I generally love rustic anything!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: A Supper for the Season

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  they are both gone now. Look at 22:17 and you will seen Jennifer ,preparing  a smiliar dish, with lamb

Yikes I'm taking that link down. I don't know what happened, but It wasn't the program I watched ,even though it was listed as the 2 Fat Ladies

If you search for the 2 Fat Ladies ,meat, You might be able to fnd it. They were cooking at an all girls school, and visited the Duchy  home farm of Prince Charles

Honored Contributor

I've been collecting decorations for Mardi Gras for a couple of years now.  The colors are green, gold and purple, I used that combination for candles, DD and I decorated the table and front room yesterday.

Honored Contributor

Poodlepet2,  the Camellia Grill was our favorite hangout for those wonderful late-night omelets.  The formality of those impeccable white-coated waiters and counter men, gravely serving all us callow and raucous students...   fun times!