Honored Contributor

A Shopping Cart For People With Special Needs

What a wonderful idea!

"Shopping just got easier for shoppers with older children and adults with special needs around the U.S.

A special cart for caregivers, now available nationwide, makes it possible for them to use a shopping cart without having to use a wheelchair at the same time. The cart looks much like a traditional shopping cart, but instead of a toddler-sized seat, there's a chair that can hold up to 250 pounds.

It's called Caroline's Cart, available in select stores such as Kroger, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Hannaford, Wegmans, ShopRite, Publix, Tops, and Price Chopper. And Target announced earlier this week that after testing the unique cart in select stores since February 2015, they've decided to roll out the cart in 1,782 stores nationwide by March 19."

Caroline's Cart was created by Drew Ann Long, a stay-at-home mom from  Alabama.  She created the cart eight years ago for her now 15-year-old daughter, Caroline, who has Rhetts Syndrome.

More information and photos of the cart on link below:

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/shopping-cart-make-easier-people-special/story?id=36757983

Honored Contributor

Re: A Shopping Cart For People With Special Needs

PHOTO: Target is rolling out a new cart in nearly all of its stores to benefit the disabled.

The photo doesn't copy well, but in case someone doesn't like to link, this is a side photo of the cart.

As you can see, it has extra wheels, a large seat and is reinforced to bear additional weight.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Noel - if you size the picture down it will come out right.   It seems that one of the things they did with the new board was to create parameters so that if somebody posts a pic that is too large it will scrunch it in so that it doesn't blow up the page.

HTH  Smiley Happy 

(this has just been my observation, anyway)

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt

Now, if you can only tell me how to reduce the size...

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey Noel! Smiley Happy  If it had been saved to your computer, when you go to put up a pic here it has a field that offers you sizes like 'original, small, med, lg, etc'. 

If it's a c&p I guess the only way would be to either find a smaller pic or to download it to your computer and then attach it here from your computer so that you have that choice.

That's all I know.   hehe

It's a good thing that they made that change but sometimes I imagine it can be a pain, mostly just for c&p pics.   Remember before, when people would put pictures that were ginormous in threads?  It would blow up the page so wide that everything became super wide and you had to scroll out to the right to see stuff.   I guess this was their answer to that problem, so it makes sense.

Anyway - yay for the carts!!!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Here's one I just found - saved it to my computer and then brought it here, choosing 'medium' so I hope it's big enough.

75314a.jpg

Respected Contributor

This is a wonderful invention! I know many people that would love this when they grocery shop.

Honored Contributor

ShopRite around here has had these for a few years, never seen them used however.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Here's one I just found - saved it to my computer and then brought it here, choosing 'medium' so I hope it's big enough.

75314a.jpg

@chickenbutt

That's wonderful!

Thank you, thank you Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Glad to help!  I like to help nice people.  Smiley Happy