Esteemed Contributor

A New Take on Dangerous Dogs

HUDSON, Colo. — They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but a young dog in Hudson may have accidentally learned something new after stabbing her owner with a knife on Wednesday. 

No, you're not reading that wrong. 

Celinda Haynes, the owner of a one-and-a-half-year-old Chesapeake Bay retriever dog named "Mia," was rushed to the hospital Wednesday morning after Mia reached over her and stabbed her left forearm with a paring knife.

"[Mia] likes to grab whatever she can to get people to play with her," explained Haynes' daughter, Chanda Stroup. 

As it turns out, Mia is rather large for her age and was able to climb to the kitchen counter, where she found her new sharp toy.

Trying to get Mia to let go of the knife, Haynes reportedly put treats on the ground and in her excitement, Mia reached over her arm and stabbed the owner when she went for the treats. 

"I need to go to the hospital," Haynes told her daughter. "Mia just cut my arm with a knife!"

The wound -- a gash approximately 4-to-5-inches long and a quarter-of-an-inch-wide -- surprised medical staff at Platte Valley Medical Center, who did not believe the story at first. But they were not the only ones.

The rest of the story:  http://www.turnto23.com/news/national/dog-stabs-owner-with-knife-in-hudson-family-in-disbelief

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: A New Take on Dangerous Dogs

Well, she needs to keep the counter clear for sure.  Knowing the dog would and could gets things from there ... accident waiting to happen.  Glad they aren't filing charges. Smiley Wink

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

So very glad our Big Dog never attempted to surf the kitchen counters! He could reach them easily but one "No" was all it took. 

In all honesty, they shouldn't be sliding treats across the countertop for him to catch. It signals that it's okay. 

Beautiful pup-

Respected Contributor

If I had a large dog who I knew could reach or get to objects that might not be safe -- especially being that the owner said herself"[Mia] likes to grab whatever she can to get people to play with her," explained Haynes' daughter, Chanda Stroup -- geez, I would have "Mia-proofed" the entire house.  Bad owner! Bad owner! 

Esteemed Contributor

It's the owners fault that this happened. They should have never allowed the dog to be able to put its paws on the counter.

Plus, "stabbed" really isn't the correct term to describe what happened. "Cut" is a more accurate description.

Respected Contributor

Why would you let a dog get up onto the counters? 

Honored Contributor

First off, I would never have admitted that the dog did it.  Especially if it was my stupidity in the first place.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

FIRST - who would have a dog that is 1 1/2 years old and still has not been taught not to jump up on the kitchen counters? Oh yeah, I forgot, now a days trainging a dog to behave is now considered cruel.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't even allow my cats on to the counter.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

FIRST - who would have a dog that is 1 1/2 years old and still has not been taught not to jump up on the kitchen counters? Oh yeah, I forgot, now a days trainging a dog to behave is now considered cruel.

Agreed.  The dog is only 18 months old, technically still a puppy.  It clearly needs proper training now not to jump on counters, etc.  I have a Yorkie.  Of course, she can't jump the kitchen counter, but she's perfectly capable of jumping up on the upholstered furniture.  She jumped on the sofa only twice while trying to escape bath time.  Otherwise, no jumping on anything and doesn't even try.