Honored Contributor

Re: 9 gross reasons you shouldn't bring your pet to bed with you

croemer wrote:

Hi Chicken!! I have slept with our family dogs since I was a child, never caught any deadly diseases yet. Our pets are as much a part of our family as the humans.

We spoil our girl...but she knows she has to behave. She knows what we accept and what we do not. That said she is a people lover... and everyone who meets her falls in love with her. We have neighbors who come by and pick her up and say we are kidnapping Layla for a few hours and then bring her back later. She is a real doll.

Nice seein' ya, Croemer! Smiley Happy    I'm probably too much of a bed-hog.  I have to move my legs to a cool spot like a thousand times a night.  

I had the bird sleep with me once.  There was a specific reason for that and I'll be darned if I can remember what it was.  D'oh!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Then you have the perfect medicine.  Congrats!

Trusted Contributor

We adopted a three year old dog that unfortunately its first owner let it sleep on the bed. It was so scared at first and saw my husband as its saviour that it was more traumatizing for it to try to force it off and keep it off that we just gave in. I now sleep in the spare room but actually get a better nights sleep now without my husband'snoring or the dog laying on my leg it's actually worked out better! 

Respected Contributor

Oh good grief.  Another article written to take up space on MSN.  It is beyond far reaching in its absurdity.

I should be dead by now.  I've shared my bed with at least 1 dog and often more than that as well as cats since I came out of the crib.  My children grew up sharing their beds and their children are doing the same.  No diseases, no skin problems, no parasites or infestations.

There are articles and studies showing there are benefits to sharing your bed with your pet.  I know I for one CANNOT sleep without at least one warm furry body cuddled up to me.  Routine in my household is when the TV gets turned off, the lights turned off and the laptop closed my critters know it's bedtime and they all head back to the bedroom.

Trusted Contributor

I used to sleep with my dobie....(talk about bed hog LOL) and I never had any health problems caused by the articles reasons. . I lived alone and he was great comfort to me. When I met my DH he had never owned a pet and he didnt like that practice for several reasons so we compromised. I made him buy "Harley" a very nice bed and put it right next to us and all was good.

Who is anyone to judge what others do in thier own home so I say "sleep with a beloved dog/cat if you want" Is all good Live and Let Live.

Personally would rather sleep with a pet (sans any rouge dingleberries LOL) then some of the humans I have seen and smelt HAHAHAHA

Esteemed Contributor

I love that the article shows a dog licking it's rear end......Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I think most of that is really reaching.

It also depends on cat or dog, and inside or outside. If an animal (cat) never goes outside, that eliminates 90% of the "risks." With dogs, it depends on where you live, where you take them, and how much they're outside.

Presumably, the vast majority of pets (certainly those who would sleep with their humans) are well-treated for fleas, so the likelihood of getting plague from your pet would depend on where you live and whether you treat them for fleas and ticks - or not.

So if your cat doesn't go outside does that mean it also doesn't walk in it's litter box?

I could never understand why anyone would want to sleep with an animal - no matter how much you love them & think you keep them clean - they are filthy. Plus - every one who does sleep with their pets complains all the time that they are bed hogs and you - the person who paid for that bed - end up clinging to the edge and being uncomfortable all night.Teach that dog to sleep in his warm comfy LL Bean dog bed on the floor.

My little man was a stray when he found us almost 12 yrs ago. And our lives were never the same. Yep I have a big bed and sleep on the edge by morning but I wouldn't trade that for the inevitable that one day he will pass on and that bed will be sadly all mine again.

I wash my sheets and he is a big no help when putting them back on.  He always seems to know when it is time to make the bed as it coincides with his need to stretch across it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not trying to insult anyone here ... just making a germ comparison.   

The kids next door play outside all the time and get filthy .... and they pick up germs at school from a hundred other children, and the last time I saw one, his nose was running.  Talking about a germy creature!    

If you're that concerned about what can be picked up outside, then DO NOT let your children and grandchildren anywhere near your bed!  Maybe you shouldn't even let them in the house!

Heaven only knows what you might "catch" from them!!    Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

I used to sleep with my dobie....(talk about bed hog LOL) and I never had any health problems caused by the articles reasons. . I lived alone and he was great comfort to me. When I met my DH he had never owned a pet and he didnt like that practice for several reasons so we compromised. I made him buy "Harley" a very nice bed and put it right next to us and all was good.

Who is anyone to judge what others do in thier own home so I say "sleep with a beloved dog/cat if you want" Is all good Live and Let Live.

Personally would rather sleep with a pet (sans any rouge dingleberries LOL) then some of the humans I have seen and smelt HAHAHAHA

Do you want a name or names? :-)

It's the same-old, same-old from just a tiny minority of posters that don't know who to express their OPINION in a polite and civilized way or purposely choose not to do so. For example, in a thread like this on a message board known to be populated by so many animal lovers, I think that throwing out the "filthy" label is pure hateful baiting.

I don't give a rat's you-know-what about other people's sleeping arrangements. I've slept with dogs (the animal type), and I have had dogs that were not allowed on the bed. Our current dog, whom we call Cody (often preceded by "Madame" -- see avatar) is not allowed. Ages before that when we had cats, they did sleep on our bed if they so desired, if memory serves me.

I'm a clean freak in some ways, but I just have never been concerned about my health being affected by our animals. And wow, if I washed my hands every time I pet my dog, as another poster said she does, I would have no flesh left on them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@croemer wrote:

Our bed, I would have to buy ear plugs if we kicked our shih-tzu out of our bed.

Dog Side VS Your Side in Bed (Photo) If you sleep with your dog(s), is that how it works in your bed? → http://www.bterrier.com/dog-side-vs-your-side-in-bed-photo/ - https://www.facebook.com/bterrierdogs:

This is the sleeping arrangement I have with my dog. He has me well trained; on the rare occasions I sleep alone I still sleep on the edge of the bed.

I've been sleeping with dogs and cats for many years, and that's not going to change because of an article on the internet.