Respected Contributor

Re: 9 gross reasons you shouldn't bring your pet to bed with you

I have the song "We Are Family" running through my head as I read this post (and the article).  My boys sleep on the bed with me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm not afraid!

Trusted Contributor

I understand animals sleeping on human beds isnt for everyone, but my goodness I bet not one of us has died from them.  151949, yours statements are hateful about pets being filthy.  I have a wonderful family, and our dogs are part of the family.. My two small dogs are groomed at the groomers twice a month.  Each day that go out to take care of business and before coming in the house we wash their feet and towel dry them prior to coming in.  This is the process every time they come in the house.  They also have a nice warm hand cloth bath at the end of each day.  We wash each ones body with a warm cloth and towel dry them, they are as clean as the humans in the household I can assure you. They also have teeth brushed at least once a day.  This may seem extreme, but I want them to be clean, because it is healthly and makes them feel good.  You certainly seen to detest animals, possibly one could bring some joy to your life since that seems to be missing from your mostly hateful comments you so very often post.

Esteemed Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

I have the song "We Are Family" running through my head as I read this post (and the article).  My boys sleep on the bed with me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm not afraid!

Me either!

Happiness is having my furbabies curled up in my lap as I am watching tv!

Honored Contributor

Hi Chicken!! I have slept with our family dogs since I was a child, never caught any deadly diseases yet. Our pets are as much a part of our family as the humans.

We spoil our girl...but she knows she has to behave. She knows what we accept and what we do not. That said she is a people lover... and everyone who meets her falls in love with her. We have neighbors who come by and pick her up and say we are kidnapping Layla for a few hours and then bring her back later. She is a real doll.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@Shop Till you Drop wrote:

I understand animals sleeping on human beds isnt for everyone, but my goodness I bet not one of us has died from them.  151949, yours statements are hateful about pets being filthy.  I have a wonderful family, and our dogs are part of the family.. My two small dogs are groomed at the groomers twice a month.  Each day that go out to take care of business and before coming in the house we wash their feet and towel dry them prior to coming in.  This is the process every time they come in the house.  They also have a nice warm hand cloth bath at the end of each day.  We wash each ones body with a warm cloth and towel dry them, they are as clean as the humans in the household I can assure you. They also have teeth brushed at least once a day.  This may seem extreme, but I want them to be clean, because it is healthly and makes them feel good.  You certainly seen to detest animals, possibly one could bring some joy to your life since that seems to be missing from your mostly hateful comments you so very often post.

We do the same thing. Each time she goes out we clean her feet. As you sais they bring us such joy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

We've had one or two cats in our bed nearly every night since 1993! We've never had any of the issues mentioned here. My kitties are pampered indoor-only cats--yes, I know they walk thru the litter-box, and lick their behinds, etc. But I can't imagine not having them in the bed with us!

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I think most of that is really reaching.

It also depends on cat or dog, and inside or outside. If an animal (cat) never goes outside, that eliminates 90% of the "risks." With dogs, it depends on where you live, where you take them, and how much they're outside.

Presumably, the vast majority of pets (certainly those who would sleep with their humans) are well-treated for fleas, so the likelihood of getting plague from your pet would depend on where you live and whether you treat them for fleas and ticks - or not.

So if your cat doesn't go outside does that mean it also doesn't walk in it's litter box?

I could never understand why anyone would want to sleep with an animal - no matter how much you love them & think you keep them clean - they are filthy. Plus - every one who does sleep with their pets complains all the time that they are bed hogs and you - the person who paid for that bed - end up clinging to the edge and being uncomfortable all night.Teach that dog to sleep in his warm comfy LL Bean dog bed on the floor.

That says all that needs to be said.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I am typing this sitting on the carpet next to my bed while my little man who is 23 years old( we actually think he is 3000 but he wont confirm) is asleep on  his his heating pad and his "fur" blanket a top my bed. 

So I think we are safe!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I think most of that is really reaching.

It also depends on cat or dog, and inside or outside. If an animal (cat) never goes outside, that eliminates 90% of the "risks." With dogs, it depends on where you live, where you take them, and how much they're outside.

Presumably, the vast majority of pets (certainly those who would sleep with their humans) are well-treated for fleas, so the likelihood of getting plague from your pet would depend on where you live and whether you treat them for fleas and ticks - or not.

So if your cat doesn't go outside does that mean it also doesn't walk in it's litter box?

I could never understand why anyone would want to sleep with an animal - no matter how much you love them & think you keep them clean - they are filthy. Plus - every one who does sleep with their pets complains all the time that they are bed hogs and you - the person who paid for that bed - end up clinging to the edge and being uncomfortable all night.Teach that dog to sleep in his warm comfy LL Bean dog bed on the floor.

You can be seen a mile away, you know. But I guess I should be flattered at the effort. LMAO.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Laura14,

Thank you so much for offering those tips! Woman Happy I did get another dog after a few months had passed. It's funny though that I find myself talking to her, telling her about the other dog and comparing the two of them, commenting the whole time...LOL!Woman Happy I'm really not crazy, just miss that dog so much! Just when I think I'm okay, the ninja of grief strikes me down once again. I'm working very hard to keep my head up...really hard and tiresome. This forum has helped tremendously. I'm thankful for that.Heart