Honored Contributor

9 gross reasons you shouldn't bring your pet to bed with you

I know many people sleep with their pets.....I LOVE my dog, but, she sleeps on the floor next to our bed...not in our bed.  I am not posting this to tell people not to sleep with their pets in the bed.  But perhaps some people  do not  know what health risks you could be inviting into your bed.   Read on if you wish....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/9-gross-reasons-you-shouldnt-bring-your-pet-to-bed-with-you...

Honored Contributor

Re: 9 gross reasons you shouldn't bring your pet to bed with you

I love that there are 9, when any one of those reasons is enough for me.

Honored Contributor

I think most of that is really reaching.

It also depends on cat or dog, and inside or outside. If an animal (cat) never goes outside, that eliminates 90% of the "risks." With dogs, it depends on where you live, where you take them, and how much they're outside.

Presumably, the vast majority of pets (certainly those who would sleep with their humans) are well-treated for fleas, so the likelihood of getting plague from your pet would depend on where you live and whether you treat them for fleas and ticks - or not.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I don't care what the article says, (and yes, I read it), the #1 reason that my cats and I sleep together is, it makes both me and them happy, and that is all that matters!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had two dogs that slept with me their whole lives.  Still here to post!!  

Honestly, unless you have an outside pet, as long as you give your pet regular baths and healthcare, none of these really apply.  It's been several years since I lost my last one and I still miss her on my pillow.  Smiley Sad  

Esteemed Contributor

Gee, I wonder where all those horrible things go during the day when I'm petting and playing and grooming and so many other things with my pets. 

Do the nasties only come out if the pet gets on the bed?  The points may be very valid but I think there is likely a greater risk to people during normal daytime  and evening hours when interacting with our pets than at night when sleeping.

If the nasties can get on our beds they can also get on our clothes, furniture, carpets, window treatments, etc., etc., etc.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

After DH acquired a rare autoimmune illness from Lyme disease and I have breathing problems (some allergies) which makes it hard for me to sleep I just won't have the dog up on our bed.  I love the dog of course but after the various health problems it's just not worth it to me.

Plus we treat the dog for ticks among other things which usually involves chemicals that I don't want on my bed.

Honored Contributor

Our bed, I would have to buy ear plugs if we kicked our shih-tzu out of our bed.

Dog Side VS Your Side in Bed (Photo) If you sleep with your dog(s), is that how it works in your bed? → http://www.bterrier.com/dog-side-vs-your-side-in-bed-photo/ - https://www.facebook.com/bterrierdogs:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

My cat sleeps on my bed I am healthy take no medication so will take this internet babble with a grain of salt.

Honored Contributor

My dog sleeps at the foot of my bed, and I feel really safe having him there.  He sleeps on his comforter.  My other dog will usually come up in the wee hours of the morning and sleep next to me.  I roller tape off the fur daily. Wash the bedding weekly.  If a muddy footprint, then I wash it.  No big deal.   They bring so much joy to me, that that outweighs all the other hypochondriacal stuff.....and I am a neat freak.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G