Honored Contributor

Re: 9 gross reasons you shouldn't bring your pet to bed with you

@Laura14 wrote:

I had two dogs that slept with me their whole lives.  Still here to post!!  

Honestly, unless you have an outside pet, as long as you give your pet regular baths and healthcare, none of these really apply.  It's been several years since I lost my last one and I still miss her on my pillow.  Smiley Sad  

Oh @Laura14,

I miss my sweet girl so much, too! It will be two years this Halloween. I've got tears writing about it. I've never had so much heartache as I have had with the loss of that dog. It's been difficult and time has not made it any easier for me.

Respected Contributor

Conversely, I have seen some humans that I wouldn't want to stand next to much less sleep with.....frankly my pets are not of concern to me on this issue!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@croemer - Croemie! That is literally how we sleep......hilarious!!!!!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I think most of that is really reaching.

It also depends on cat or dog, and inside or outside. If an animal (cat) never goes outside, that eliminates 90% of the "risks." With dogs, it depends on where you live, where you take them, and how much they're outside.

Presumably, the vast majority of pets (certainly those who would sleep with their humans) are well-treated for fleas, so the likelihood of getting plague from your pet would depend on where you live and whether you treat them for fleas and ticks - or not.

So if your cat doesn't go outside does that mean it also doesn't walk in it's litter box?

I could never understand why anyone would want to sleep with an animal - no matter how much you love them & think you keep them clean - they are filthy. Plus - every one who does sleep with their pets complains all the time that they are bed hogs and you - the person who paid for that bed - end up clinging to the edge and being uncomfortable all night.Teach that dog to sleep in his warm comfy LL Bean dog bed on the floor.

Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@croemer - Croemie! That is literally how we sleep......hilarious!!!!!

Hey there buddy, how B U? Yes I wake up most morning's hugging the side of the bed and the "Princess" has some how squeezed me off my pillow...me hanging on for dear life and her sweet little head has the pillow all to herself.Woman Frustrated

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I think most of that is really reaching.

It also depends on cat or dog, and inside or outside. If an animal (cat) never goes outside, that eliminates 90% of the "risks." With dogs, it depends on where you live, where you take them, and how much they're outside.

Presumably, the vast majority of pets (certainly those who would sleep with their humans) are well-treated for fleas, so the likelihood of getting plague from your pet would depend on where you live and whether you treat them for fleas and ticks - or not.

So if your cat doesn't go outside does that mean it also doesn't walk in it's litter box?

I could never understand why anyone would want to sleep with an animal - no matter how much you love them & think you keep them clean - they are filthy. Plus - every one who does sleep with their pets complains all the time that they are bed hogs and you - the person who paid for that bed - end up clinging to the edge and being uncomfortable all night.Teach that dog to sleep in his warm comfy LL Bean dog bed on the floor.

I have a sweet dog who can sleep any place she chooses and not ashamed to admit it. She gives us both so much love we are happy to share the bed with her. To EACH their OWN.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

These are so ridiculous.  I'm certainly not the least bit worried about getting the bubonic plague from my dog.  And how would my dog get a staph infection that would then be passed on to me.

I'm 48 years old.  I've had as many as 3 dogs sleeping in my bed with me since the age of 22 when I got married.  Prior to that, I grew up with a german shepherd that took turns sleeping with my sister and me. 

I've never caught anything and I've never been sick with anything that could be attributed to my dogs.  They always are vaccinated, they get baths and they go out to do their business, maybe relax a little, and come back inside.

And as someone else already said, wouldn't these be issues with the dog in your house?  Why are they only issues if you let the dog sleep with you?  LOL    

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I had two dogs that slept with me their whole lives.  Still here to post!!  

Honestly, unless you have an outside pet, as long as you give your pet regular baths and healthcare, none of these really apply.  It's been several years since I lost my last one and I still miss her on my pillow.  Smiley Sad  

Oh @Laura14,

I miss my sweet girl so much, too! It will be two years this Halloween. I've got tears writing about it. I've never had so much heartache as I have had with the loss of that dog. It's been difficult and time has not made it any easier for me.

@SilleeMee  I'm so sorry!  Heart  We are not turning this into a crying thread because I already have a tissue in hand too but I would give anything to have them back in my bed for one more night.  

I will tell you that it took me a good long while to be even somewhat okay with it.  My last one is gone probably about 5-6 years now and it's only been in the past year that I can think of her with a smile only.

I'll pass along these tips if you want to try them.  I actually almost filled a journal I wrote in to them sometimes every day, week, or month whenever I needed to.  It's only been in the past year that I haven't regularly picked that book up.  But it's my go to when I need to cry it out.  Maybe silly to some but it worked for me.

Also, a bird feeder.  Not feeding an animal was just weird to me so I now feed the birds and I also got a fish.  Not the same as a dog but it keeps me in the routine of dropping some food every day in bowl/tank.  Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

Hahaha, Croemer!  Love that.

I slept with the puppy for his first 5 nights here, to establish bonding I suppose and keep him feeling safe and secure.  But I did have something, like a towel, that I put on top of my bed for him.

I'm kind of squeamish about some stuff so I would probably think about the worst things - like his butt on my stuff and the like.  hehe

But, and I can't believe I'm saying this, my husband - holy krap!  When they go out for their walks, he shares bottles of water with him.   gadzooks!  I couldn't do that.  I mean, seriously - they both take turns drinking out of the bottle!

Honored Contributor

Never had the cats in our room, the door is always closed or if it's opened, the door leading to the hallways is closed.  Just no need for them to be in there.  We like to sleep!

We don't let our cats in the kitchen either. 

We have *shutter* doors so we can close off the livingroom and dining room also, although they are allowed in there--sometimes.

Our dog was never on our bed or our furniture, she did go in the kitchen, but when we sat down to eat she would go into the other room.

Our cats are inside cats, but they were brought in from the *wild*, so they're not all *up in our faces* all day--never get on our laps. 

I wash my hands after I pet them--every time.