Trusted Contributor

9/11 husband sends back wife’s ‘Glamour’ award over Caitlyn Jenner

The husband of an NYPD officer killed during the September 11th attacks returned his wife's posthumous "Woman of the Year" award to Glamour magazine, after it honored Caitlyn Jenner for the same award this year. Moira Smith, the only female officer that died in the 9/11 attacks, had given her life to help others survive one of the greatest U.S. tragedies in decades. For her bravery, Glamour had awarded her their greatest accolade— Woman of the Year. NYPD officer James Smith posted a letter to the editors of the magazine on Facebook, saying in 2001 he was honored to accept the award on behalf of his wife Moira. But writes he was "shocked and saddened" to hear that this year, Caitlyn Jenner was named one of the honorees. He wrote in part, "I find it insulting to Moira Smith's memory, and the memory of other heroic women who have earned this award. Was there no woman in America, or the rest of the world, more deserving than this man." A spokesman for the magazine told The New York Post that it received Smith’s letter and that it stands by its honors. Calling it a slap in the face to his family, Smith sent his wife's award back to the magazine. http://pix11.com/2015/11/15/911-husband-sends-back-wifes-glamour-award-over-caitlyn-jenner/
Honored Contributor

Re: 9/11 husband sends back wife’s ‘Glamour’ award over Caitlyn Jenner

It may be horribly politically incorrect, but I support his right to feel this way, speak these words, and feel his feelings.

If we have to be tolerant of a man that wants to be a woman we have to be tolerant of those who disagree with it or feel it is wrong, and speak up about their needs and feelings like Jenner has.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, that is his choice, his decision. In my opinion, giving any kind of award to Caitlyn Jenner takes nothing away from this poor man's wife's sacrifice. I would certainly not put a 9/11 police officer's sacrifice in the same category as Jenner's and I do feel that the attention paid to Jenner has been excessive. Many transgender people suffer in silence and get no awards for it but Jenner is in the public eye so that's where the awards go.

Esteemed Contributor

What a man! I love his conviction and willingness to speak his mind in this overly PC world.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I'm glad he did what he felt he should do.  No offense meant toward CJ, but I agree that there were/are many more deserving women out there.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Valued Contributor

Good for him!!  I support his decision 100% and honor him for his action.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Huge Kudos to this NYPD officer!!!  I support him 100% plus..  what on earth has Bruce/Cait Jenner done anyway?  He changed his name and gender,,, big whoop!  Sorry but that's how I feel, it's gotten too excessive...  How long has been dressing as a woman?

How about the real women in their real skin that sacrifice each and everyday, we don't have the privilege of scads of weath & etc..  Bruce has no idea what it's like to be a woman.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

Does anyone really care?  

Valued Contributor

Yes, ritasnumber1fan, people care.  And I for one, am glad that people do - enough is enough.

Honored Contributor

Ah.....not the first transgender woman to win.

Laverne Cox won Woman of the Year 2014

Where was the outrage then?