Honored Contributor

😀66 Ways to Protect Your Privacy Right Now

[ Edited ]

I want to recommend a comprehensive article from 9/20/2016, with good info collected from various organizations, to those who might be interested.

"66 Ways to Protect Your Privacy Right Now"

"Do one, some, or all. Each one will make a difference."

source (or just do an internet search for the title of the article):

http://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/66-ways-to-protect-your-privacy-right-now/

Hope this is helpful!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 😀66 Ways to Protect Your Privacy Right Now

Thanks for the link DooB.   There were some I never gave a thought to, some I am familar with and even ones that are new to me.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo - Thanks.

The only item I disagree with is the automatic updates.  Well, partially disagree.  I have all mine set to automically check for updates and notify me, but I have it set that I have to tell it when to update.  I've had a couple of bad experiences with updates that I had to back out because of major issues.

Honored Contributor

You're welcome!   Thanks, again, @Marp, for the heads up on your thread.   @Buck-i-Nana,  I know what you mean.    I like to get automatic notifications about availability and then I can decide whether or not to download and install.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@dooBdoo - Thanks.

The only item I disagree with is the automatic updates.  Well, partially disagree.  I have all mine set to automically check for updates and notify me, but I have it set that I have to tell it when to update.  I've had a couple of bad experiences with updates that I had to back out because of major issues.

I do the same re updates. I want to be in control of them, not the other way around.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@dooBdoo - Thanks.

ITA, as pertains to Windows updates.    Many years ago I had it set to automatically update, as I knew little and it was recommended.   One time I had programs corrupted when it took off on its own and it was a nightmare.

All that said, however, when you get to Windows 10, you lose a lot of control.  You can't do that anymore and I HATE it.   You can't pick and choose.  You can't have it advise you that updates are available and choose when to do load/install them.  nothing.  IMO, this is total b.s., but that doesn't matter because that's what they do and tough noogies.  Smiley Sad

As to anti-virus and anti-malware, howeer, I would definitely have it set to auto-update.

I haven't looked yet and plan to do so now.  Thanks, dooB!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@dooBdoo - Thanks.

ITA, as pertains to Windows updates.    Many years ago I had it set to automatically update, as I knew little and it was recommended.   One time I had programs corrupted when it took off on its own and it was a nightmare.

All that said, however, when you get to Windows 10, you lose a lot of control.  You can't do that anymore and I HATE it.   You can't pick and choose.  You can't have it advise you that updates are available and choose when to do load/install them.  nothing.  IMO, this is total b.s., but that doesn't matter because that's what they do and tough noogies.  Smiley Sad

As to anti-virus and anti-malware, howeer, I would definitely have it set to auto-update.

I haven't looked yet and plan to do so now.  Thanks, dooB!  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt - You're right, and I do have my anti-virus on auto update. It's really just updating a file, not a program so there's no possibility of it blowing anything up.

Esteemed Contributor

I've read that article and it has lots of good info and things to consider.

Thanks for posting it!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo...Thanks so much!...Windows 10 was just automatically downloaded to my computer yesterday...Should I download GPG4win (privacy guard) or will this cause any problems?...It is recommended, but I hear so many different things that can be confusing.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

wildflowers wrote:

@dooBdoo...Thanks so much!...Windows 10 was just automatically downloaded to my computer yesterday...Should I download GPG4win (privacy guard) or will this cause any problems?...It is recommended, but I hear so many different things that can be confusing.

Whaaa?  I thought they stopped trying to force the upgrade of Win10 on people, in late July.