Honored Contributor

I just remember those days that followed.  The U.S. was just in shock, think most people were right in front of their t.v. sets.

Honored Contributor

@LavernLuvsShoes wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Isnt it amazing how vividly we all remember it, this type of memory is something that remains etched in our hearts for as long as we live

I'm a little surprised that I still feel the same sense of pain, loss and sadness, whenever it is brought up. 

yes that, and the twin towers.

Honored Contributor

I often think of all the tragedies that have happened in the Kennedy family since JFK, they have endured so very much. 

Contributor

I was in the USNavy stationed at the Weapons Plant in Washington DC . It was in the afternoon when we heard the news. We were awaiting our Captain to set the watch and we could leave when we heard the news. We were all very concerned  about the news and waited for new orders to be forthcoming . A very sad and memorable time for us and this nation.

Trusted Contributor

I was in high school and on my way to my fourth period class, Problems of Democracy.

In 1972, on the same date, our home burned down because of a fire that started next door. 

Both events changed me profoundly. 

Respected Contributor

First grade. i was 6.  we all sat in regimented rows then, organized by last names. i sat closer to the back of the class.  wooden desks and chairs. 

Our teacher was summoned to "The Office".  when she returned she did not enter the class immediately . she looked at us through the square glass window on the door. 

She then came into the room and said class was dismissed. Our President had been "hurt".

so odd that the classes were let out without notifying parents.  my mother did not drive then. no one came to fetch me.

i walked home from school on a back road with no sidewalks. not far, a bit less than a mile. i remember my coat.  a cream colored sherpa jacket with a hood.

i remember the Oswald shooting because my Dad had the TV that morning. My Dad saved the LIFE magazines that published the frames of the Zapruder film. He had put them in a dresser drawer.

and the funeral and the drumbeats.  images in gray, black and white.