Respected Contributor

Re: 30-40 deer have died from a disease in Pennsylvania

I feel badly for these poor creatures of beauty.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I think Chronic Wasting Disease is rather widespread.  It's in AL too.  

@Icegoddess   that's the reason responsible hunters give for hunting .  I used to hate the idea of hunters ,   Untimely coming around to it may be more humane then letting these beautiful creatures due from no food through the winter.  I truly wish there could be a program country wide to feed them through winter months .  I know it's pie in the ski but if only .......

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess   that's the reason responsible hunters give for hunting .  I used to hate the idea of hunters ,   Untimely coming around to it may be more humane then letting these beautiful creatures due from no food through the winter.  I truly wish there could be a program country wide to feed them through winter months .  I know it's pie in the ski but if only .......

@Kitty Galore It's the hunters who are mostly responsible for the reporting of this disease.   It would be difficult to track it without them.  Chronic Wasting Disease has nothing to do with lack of food.  It's a disease that keeps them from gaining weight.  I don't know if that means they just don't eat or if they cand eat all they want and still waste away.  Better if they could come up with a vaccine for it that could be spread by food.  

Deer are a food source from many of the predators that have been decimated around populations centers, like cougars.  Without a natural means of culling out the deer, and with no hunters, the deer would overpopulate.  That's the reason they starve due to lack of food. 

Of course, all the building and removing of the forests doesn't help either.  Deer will populate small wild areas.  I used to see them along the railroad tracks near a RR crossing I frequent.  Sadly, they're building a huge apartment complex there now.  My sister's back yard has utilities running across it, so she is not allowed to do any landscaping.  But, she gets deer.  I've actually seen them in my little suburban neighborhood late at night.  I guess they felt at home next to the wire deer the people have in their yard. 

There's a wooded area behind my house, but I've never seen deer there.  I get fox and coyote.  But, my neighbor told me she saw a deer cross over into that area this past summer right after that building project I mentioned above started.  Apparently all the rabbits moved into the area too, which does not make me happy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess  it's just all so sad 😢. I understand about progress as we live in a area that was all woods before our neighborhood came about .  Good thing though we only have a few houses to our development and that's all there will be .  All of us have left woods in our yards way back, on the sides , our homes are far apart from each other so the wooded areas are substantial.  I'm happy cause I know the deer still have places to be . See them often in our yard .unfortunately bunnies too ,  that eat everything ,  they have to eat too though.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore it's nice to have houses with a little space between them isn't it?  Around here, they're now building almost on top of each other.  I would love to move to some acreage, but that's not happening especially with land prices escalating so much due to all the building.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Kitty Galore It's the hunters who are mostly responsible for the reporting of this disease.   It would be difficult to track it without them.  Chronic Wasting Disease has nothing to do with lack of food.  It's a disease that keeps them from gaining weight.  I don't know if that means they just don't eat or if they cand eat all they want and still waste away.  Better if they could come up with a vaccine for it that could be spread by food.  

Deer are a food source from many of the predators that have been decimated around populations centers, like cougars.  Without a natural means of culling out the deer, and with no hunters, the deer would overpopulate.  That's the reason they starve due to lack of food. 

Of course, all the building and removing of the forests doesn't help either.  Deer will populate small wild areas.  I used to see them along the railroad tracks near a RR crossing I frequent.  Sadly, they're building a huge apartment complex there now.  My sister's back yard has utilities running across it, so she is not allowed to do any landscaping.  But, she gets deer.  I've actually seen them in my little suburban neighborhood late at night.  I guess they felt at home next to the wire deer the people have in their yard. 

There's a wooded area behind my house, but I've never seen deer there.  I get fox and coyote.  But, my neighbor told me she saw a deer cross over into that area this past summer right after that building project I mentioned above started.  Apparently all the rabbits moved into the area too, which does not make me happy.

@Icegoddess @Kitty Galore It is a neurogenerative disease. The brains of the deer become filled with spaces, technically, spongiform, like a sponge, and neurological symptoms continue to affect all the animal's functioning. The animals loose control of their entire nervous system and then they die. It's caused by an infective agent known as a prion. Prions are extremely difficult to destroy. The are not destroyed by cooking. Prions are not living. This agent causes proteins within cells of the nervous system to misfold.* The disease is like other prion diseases, mad cow disease, for example. Prion diseases have notoriously long incubation periods. One type, kuru, which occurs in humans in Papua, New Guniea can have a 50 year incubation period. Just handling the brains and spinal cord as well as eating meat of infected animals or humans can spread the infection. Humans that contracted mad cow from eating infected meat had around a ten year incubation period in the UK.

I am concerned that not enough has been learned yet about CWD in deer to know if humans can become infected from infected deer, though there are no known cases so far. I love deer but I'd be afraid of eating deer meat or making direct contact until more is known, but this is only my personal feelings. CWD is quickly spreading through the U.S. and Canada. "CWD is transmitted directly through animal-to-animal contact, and indirectly through contact with objects or environment contaminated with infectious material (including saliva, urine, feces, and carcasses of CWD-infected animals." Quote from United States Geological Survey.

Originally cattle became infected because they were fed infected cattle parts and bone meal from infected animals which led to an outbreak of mad cow disease in the UK. The disease is technically known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Th US and other countries stopped the practice of feeding cattle their own parts, which included parts of their nervous systems, brains and also bones. The US very, very closely monitors cattle here and the disease is almost eradicated.

Other prion diseases are Kuru in humans from a tribe in Papua, New Guniea. One member of the tribe that developed kuru had had a 50 year incubation period between his exposure and his disease. Members of the tribe no longer handle the brains or nervous systems of their dead, or  directly handle their dead. The tribe used to practice the eating of tiny parts of their dead, which was how the infection was spread amongst them. They no longer engage in the practice.

In humans, there is also a spontaneously occurring  prion disease called Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease and a variant of it that came from eating infected beef (beef infected with mad cow disease). There was approximately an eight to ten year incubation period for the human variant seen in the UK.

There's also another prion disease that's found in sheep and goats. It's called scrapie. Scrapie has been known about for hundreds of years and is not transmissible to humans.

* It would take way too long to discuss protein folding here.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D Thanks, I thought it might be related to Mad Cow but I couldn't think of the name.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Kitty Galore it's nice to have houses with a little space between them isn't it?  Around here, they're now building almost on top of each other.  I would love to move to some acreage, but that's not happening especially with land prices escalating so much due to all the building.  

@Icegoddess   our 1st home houses were almost on top of each other ,  just like developments all over so I know what you mean .  When we decided to build our forever home we knew it would be in a setting like we have now with acreage and no close by neighbors that could here us when we sneezed !   Land prices now are very high , interest rates are also so high for hone buying now I feel sorry for young couples starting out .   

Honored Contributor

As others have noted, it's not all bad and may in fact be good.  Deer have few natural predators, so disease helps control their population.  They are particularly bad this Fall in SE PA - eating everything in sight!  I'm not inclined to spray repellent now because it's so late in the season and plants will die back soon anyway.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a fan of deer unless it's on my plate.  I view them as a nuisance, and hope every hunter in the woods takes one home.  

The small herd we've watched daily for the last 3+ years has now grown to at least 20 after several twin births, and even a triplet birth.  We don't have anything in our yard for them to eat, so they only pass thru our property, but they have loved my brothers apple trees.  

Archery season is underway already here in WV, then small game season starts in mid October, gun season for deer before Thanksgiving for 2 weeks, and bow season ends in December.  Hoping all hunters leave the woods happy.  

I just checked the hunting regulations, and from September 30 - December 31, no deer in WV is safe!