Respected Contributor

Re: 3 Animals die at Seaworld in 3 Months

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

Well, they can't release the ones raised in captivity. They can't fend for themselves.

The thing that really bothered me, was the orcas in the tiny pools, that is disturbing.

They would need to keep these poor souls separate an "teach" them which is possible and has been successfully done.

@AngusandBuddhasMom

Yes and in MUCH bigger pools, where they can be taught to catch their own food, etc.

After all, they taught them how to do 'tricks', didn't they?

Many orphaned animals are raised in captivity, taught how to survive in their natural habitat, then released into that habitat.

Yes. There is a wildlife rehab close by me. They nurse a lot of orphan fawns back to heath, but once they are well, there is no human contact, especially while feeding.

Do you know...are whales excepted into a pod once they are released?

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Sea World needs to turn into just a rehab for injured animals and then release them to their natural habitat.  They are good at what they do.  But, they need to shut down the whale shows and turn all of those animals back into the ocean and quit using them for profit. 

Not all rehabed animals can be released into the wild again. they require care for the remainder of their lives. For instance Winter the dolphin with the prosthetic tail - the "stump" has to be cared for and the tail on & off by human caretakers. Many rehabed wildlife would no longer make it if they had to hunt and survive on their own.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NUNYA wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

Well, they can't release the ones raised in captivity. They can't fend for themselves.

The thing that really bothered me, was the orcas in the tiny pools, that is disturbing.

They would need to keep these poor souls separate an "teach" them which is possible and has been successfully done.

Yes and in MUCH bigger pools, where they can be taught to catch their own food, etc.

After all, they taught them how to do 'tricks', didn't they?

Many orphaned animals are raised in captivity, taught how to survive in their natural habitat, then released into that habitat.

Yes. There is a wildlife rehab close by me. They nurse a lot of orphan fawns back to heath, but once they are well, there is no human contact, especially while feeding.

Do you know...are whales excepted into a pod once they are released?

@nun ya

Yes, they can according to us.whales.org:

http://us.whales.org/blog/2014/02/can-captive-whales-or-dolphins-be-returned-to-wild

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

oh lord...I should have wrote accepted...hanging head in shame

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NUNYA wrote:

oh lord...I should have wrote accepted...hanging head in shame

@nun ya

Feel no shame, we've all done a grammar mistake at one time or another, LOL!

Except for our teachers who post here, LOL!

Smiley MSN Emoticon classroom 185.gif
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I just read a headline where a tiger was killed by it's mating partner at the San Diego zoo.  (I think it was SD.)

So there is what we would call cruelty in the animal kingdom, it's not just mankind.

That said, my last carnivorous meal was years ago.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm but that is the way of nature.  Maybe being cage up didn't help either!

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

@Q2girl wrote:

I grew up near Sea World and the San Diego Zoo.  Should we close all zoos and establishments that lock up animals?  How about those raised in captivity?  Should we let them go into the wild?  I personally hated going to the zoo or SeaWorld as a child, but am just wondering what you all think about zoos? 

The cycle needs to be stopped.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

Anything regarding these horrid places makes me cringe. I am glad they are suffering huge losses due to Blackfish. So many people don't have any clue what goes on behind the scenes of places like this and at many zoos. Plus, the environments they put these poor creatures are so unnatural and abominable. They  aren't even the same animal anymore. Makes me sad.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

Anything regarding these horrid places makes me cringe. I am glad they are suffering huge losses due to Blackfish. So many people don't have any clue what goes on behind the scenes of places like this and at many zoos. Plus, the environments they put these poor creatures are so unnatural and abominable. They  aren't even the same animal anymore. Makes me sad.

@HappyDaze

You summed it up very well, 1 million hearts from me!