Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @Susan Louise.  Bridgegal clarified for me too.  I learn something new everyday!  LOL.

I'm wondering why China is getting so much play though.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Re: 2024 Summer Olympics

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Thank you @Susan Louise.  Bridgegal clarified for me too.  I learn something new everyday!  LOL.

@itiswhatitis  It takes years and space to continue to build multiple venues for all the Olympics...And BILLIONS of $$$$...

Not too many places/countries can afford to do so...

The also do a great job hosting.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise

Bridgegal provided the following:

Edited to add:     I just found this:    Three cities have been chosen by the IOC to host upcoming Olympic Games: Pyeongchang for the 2018 Winter Olympics, Tokyo for the 2020 Summer Olympics, and Beijing for the 2022 Winter Olympics. In 2022, Beijing will become the only city that has held both the summer and winter Olympic Games.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@itiswhatitis  It takes years and space to continue to build multiple venues for all the Olympics...And BILLIONS of $$$$...

The also do a great job hosting Smiley Happy

I agree with that.  I still think it would be nice for another country to get a chance.  I do know some European countries have threats of terrorism (like we did) when the games were in Atlanta.  China two times?  Oh well.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Susan Louise

Edited to add:     I just found this:    Three cities have been chosen by the IOC to host upcoming Olympic Games: Pyeongchang for the 2018 Winter Olympics, Tokyo for the 2020 Summer Olympics, and Beijing for the 2022 Winter Olympics. In 2022, Beijing will become the only city that has held both the summer and winter Olympic Games.

@itiswhatitis  

It takes years and space to continue to build multiple venues for all the Olympics...And BILLIONS of $$$$...

Additionally, it takes years to plan/build all the new venues/design/house all the athletes, plan the programs/etc...for those wondering why the Olympics plan so far ahead...

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Susan Louise

@itiswhatitis  

It takes years and space to continue to build multiple venues for all the Olympics...And BILLIONS of $$$$...

Additionally, it takes years to plan/build all the new venues/design/house all the athletes, plan the programs/etc...for those wondering why the Olympics plan so far ahead...

Oh yeah, I know.  There are other countries that can pull it off besides China.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor
All this talk of China - consider that the next THREE games are all in Asia. Not fun for watching, IMO, with the delay. I recently read an article commenting on how they're predicting LA for 2024 - it has been an embarrassingly long time for the US to have the games, given the number of times given to Europe and Asia. They also commented on the recent NBC contract renewal - think they said having it in the US once was a prerequisite and 2024 was the first game of the new contract. However, I also heard that LA would be iffy if Trump was elected (not making this political, just repeating what I heard.)

I remember when Chicago lost. It was a real slap in the face when we were the 1st eliminated. Must keep in mind that Obama was just elected - like him or not, a popular choice overseas - and this was his city. But, he didn't go meet the Olympic Committee. Michelle did. So did Oprah. There was also a shake up with the US Olympic Committee and we simply weren't friendly enough with the people who make the decisions. But, considering all of the huge US sponsors that pay the bills, it was still a huge insult to come in last. Of course, since then, one hears of all the $$$ changing hands, and I guess I can take comfort that we didn't line anyone's pockets either.
Honored Contributor

Re: 2024 Summer Olympics

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

With Rio in the rearview mirror, I was curious as to where the 2024 Summer Olympics were going to be.

The city will be chosen in September of 2017, but the cities in the running are:

Rome

Paris

Budapest

Los Angeles

If I had to choose, I would choose L.A. first, then Rome.

If you could pick the host city, which would it be?

Like you, I would pick Los Angeles first and then Rome......I wonder why Chicago is never in the running!???

My choice would be Rome. Chicago? Maybe stats willimprove in 8 years. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)