Honored Contributor

Re: 1975- It Was a Good Year...

Sometimes,looking at old bills and cancelled checks can bring back memories.  I still have the paid 1974 hospital bill from my daughter's birth.  We had to pay cash before we could leave.  Had insurance, but not maternity coverage.

i was in there for seven days as was my daughter.  The whole bill was less than $400. It seemed like a ton of money back then, and it was.  But by today's standards, it was a drop in the bucket.

I shredded all of my old stuff years ago..I had around 30 years worth.  It is quite the job, but interesting to see how much things have changed, especially prices. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL!!! I still have all our tax returns since we got married in 1976.

I had a few pay stubs from a restaurant I worked at as a teenager waiting tables for $1.50 per hr in 75. 

Respected Contributor

I may have you all beat.  In 1975 I had been divorced for one year and was busy making up for the lost 6 years of my liffe.   Party, party, party!  Cat LOL

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

when we have a lot to "shred" 

we use a big metal bucket and burn it instead.

Respected Contributor

My mom passed in 2014 and I shredded her stuff going back to 1963. I make it a regular thing to do now so someone else doesn't get stuck doing it after I'm gone. BTW, the local pet store can use shredded paper for their puppy bedding. Not sure about shelters/rescues.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

So, how many times did you have to say it? 

Counting 1, 2, 3, ....GO!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

My mom passed in 2014 and I shredded her stuff going back to 1963. I make it a regular thing to do now so someone else doesn't get stuck doing it after I'm gone. BTW, the local pet store can use shredded paper for their puppy bedding. Not sure about shelters/rescues.

@catter70 

I have old credit cards to do too, so there is plastic mixed with paper.  Plus, the old stuff was in the garage and it smells like old paper.  I wouldn't want an animal to use it for bedding.

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono , hello!

1975 was a good year for me.  I was a sophomore in college and spent the spring semester in Rome.  We took class trips to Greece, Sorrento/Pompei/Capri and traveled weekends by EurRail Pass.  My first time being that far away from my family (we lived in Dallas) but a wonderful experience!

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono, I wouldn't put plastic in with the shredded paper either. Also, the paper I shredded wasn't musty smelling as it was/is in the house. Thanks for adding that, though, just in case. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the process of shredding my DH old business papers. They are 15+ yrs old. He keeps it all. I asked my accountant what is the max I need to keep this stuff and she said 7 years. No more, I need room in the garage. If I had or knew someone with a burn can, I swear I would pay them for the use of it.