Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

16 Year Old Boy Climbs to the Top of the WTC Spire

Unbelievable. He climbed to the top of the antenna, unnoticed by the security guard who was described as "inattentive."

This is a disgrace, and very frightening.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Teenager-Climbs-World-Trade-Center-Spire-Security-Photos-Trespa...

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: 16 Year Old Boy Climbs to the Top of the WTC Spire

Never underestimate teenagers. We have a major chemical plant nearby and the kids who lived near it knew all of the weaknesses in the fences and the guards' schedules. They'd sneak in and grab tools, supplies, whatever and sneak back out and they pretty much never got caught. If you needed something that they had on the plant then a word to the right kid and the transfer of a smallish sum (one to ten dollars depending on what they were getting) and you'd have it the next day. The real pros at it had already stolen the coveralls, hardhats, safety glasses and an ID badge or two, so once they'd gotten past the exterior fencing they could pretty much just blend in, grab what they wanted and wander back out. This went on for years (probably decades now) and in all likelihood is still going on though surveillance cameras may make it harder now. If you want to test the security of a facility, recruit kids in the area. They'll likely already know all of the weaknesses. The more you try to keep them out, the more determined they become to get in. This kid in NY exposed a weakness in the security of the building that I'm pretty sure they're fixing now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Wow

Super Contributor

Oh goody, just what we need… more inattentive security.

I didn't read the article. I hope they arrested the kid and fired the guard.

Respected Contributor

I heard this morning the security cameras and monitors are not hooked up yet.

Super Contributor

The authorities ought to be shaking that boy's hand and offering him a job, because he just showed them how non-existent their "security" for that building is--without doing any damage to it. They should make him head of security.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/21/2014 ------ said:

Oh goody, just what we need… more inattentive security.

I didn't read the article. I hope they arrested the kid and fired the guard.

Your hope was fulfilled. Smile

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Says a lot about the kid and the security around the site, both of which are lacking common sense.