Honored Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

I see kids in those skateboard cement parks without wearing their helmets, even when posted on the gate entrances and inside on the fencing.  And not a helmet in site, say, placed down on a bench.  So, obviously they are leaving their houses without their helmets.  It's really too bad, because taxpayers are paying for those skateboard parks, yet many of the kids are not respecting/following the skateboard rules.  What can I say?  It's a dilemma.  Who's to blame?  It's neverending, it seems. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Romary, if you don't mind my asking, how many boys do you or did you have? I had three and I sure wouldn't have wanted them out in the ocean, but hunting, well, scary for mom, but they did it, but with their dad.  While it possibly would have made a difference with these boys, we will never know. I seriously doubt they would have gone on the ocean.

Yes, it is neverending, the more rules the more to break. 

mm

@ROMARY wrote:

I see kids in those skateboard cement parks without wearing their helmets, even when posted on the gate entrances and inside on the fencing.  And not a helmet in site, say, placed down on a bench.  So, obviously they are leaving their houses without their helmets.  It's really too bad, because taxpayers are paying for those skateboard parks, yet many of the kids are not respecting/following the skateboard rules.  What can I say?  It's a dilemma.  Who's to blame?  It's neverending, it seems. 

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Haven't read anything here...just jumping.  

Who thinks these parents should be charged with neglect, endangerment...something?

They should be footing the bill for the search.....

Honored Contributor

Mama: Your boys were with their Dad, so that's a huge step in the right direction!  Dad usually always knows best, if and when danger arrives.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

How many kids ride ATV's alone, play football, kids get concussions and play again once they are healed with their parents consent. There are dangers in everything. While I think they shouldn't have taken the boat, they're kids, they do that. Lots of things in our comfort zones are dangerous. Some just have bad endings.

Yep and it looks like this story will end badly. The parents will have to live with this for the rest of their lives.

Honored Contributor

Some parents are so into not invading their kids' privacy, that they haven't a clue as to where their kids are, where they plan to go, who with, etc., etc.  Not one clue, even in a general direction/area.  I'm guessing that some of these kids/teens will be the adults who, say, take off in a private plane or boat without any type of flight/sailing plan or direction.  Or, say, going for a late night jog alone or out on a date without telling someone who, what, when, where, etc.  That type of thinking most often leads to tragedy.  And, if not, how absolutely lucky they are!  Always wishing everyone the very best of luck.  Some will need all the luck that comes their way.

Honored Contributor

What I don't understand is how a 19 ft boat capable of going on the ocean doesn't have a GPS tracking thing ..... or at least a 2 way radio .....   aren't there requirements for these communication devices ?

Trusted Contributor

So many are blaming the parents.....these boys did this on their own. I doubt they asked their parents for permission. As a child I did many things without my parents knowing....many dangerous. It is what kids do, even with parents that are good parents.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

What I don't understand is how a 19 ft boat capable of going on the ocean doesn't have a GPS tracking thing ..... or at least a 2 way radio .....   aren't there requirements for these communication devices ?

A 19 ft boat is pretty small.  It may not have those things.

Trusted Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Some parents are so into not invading their kids' privacy, that they haven't a clue as to where their kids are, where they plan to go, who with, etc., etc.  Not one clue, even in a general direction/area.  I'm guessing that some of these kids/teens will be the adults who, say, take off in a private plane or boat without any type of flight/sailing plan or direction.  Or, say, going for a late night jog alone or out on a date without telling someone who, what, when, where, etc.  That type of thinking most often leads to tragedy.  And, if not, how absolutely lucky they are!  Always wishing everyone the very best of luck.  Some will need all the luck that comes their way.

Maybe be in a perfect world parents know where every child is and what they are doing 24/7....