Esteemed Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

missy1 - ITA - kids need adult supervision - the ocean is a big place!

Esteemed Contributor

They are such good looking young men....my heart breaks for them and hope and pray they find them....even though in my heart of heart...I doubt they are still alive...

All I could think is why would the folks let them go out alone...but then maybe the boys thought they could make it to wherever they were headed....

I wonder why there wasn't a two way radio on the boat so they could have called for help...that should be a given no matter how far they  were going...or the size of the boat...especially for young boys....

Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Fourteen year old brains have not finished growing yet.  What these two young boys did is clear evidence that they are not mature enough to be trusted in many situations without supervision.  Under the right set of circumstances they should have had a definite time to return, and when they didn't someone should have been out there looking for them.  Sounds like these parents are pretty well off financially, and possibly they could have sent out a helicoper or requested a Coast Guard vessel to search much sooner than they did.   There's plenty of blame to go around - no need to point fingers at this point. It's proably too late.

I read the grandmother called the Coast Guard when 4 hrs passed and she didn't hear from them. Maybe they thought they could get away with more under her supervision 

Honored Contributor

I'm praying that they will be found safe an/or someone picked them up... if not  i pray that their bodies are recovered.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Trusted Contributor

14 year old boys do things they shouldn't.....stupid things.....can not blame parents.  I pray they are found alive......

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

The kids are experienced boaters who have been on the water all their lives.  And they are 14 years old.  The problem is they deviated from the original plan of just fishing and decided, without their parent's knowledge or consent, to sail to the Bahamas.  That's why they are in trouble, not because of a fishing trip they've probably gone on many times.  They are at that age when teens, especially boys exert their independance and push the limits.  Like everyone, I pray that they are found safe and sound.  Hindsight is always 20/20, especially from people who have never in their lives raised a teenager. 

Sorry, that doesn't cut it for me and I have raised a teenage boy. 14 yr olds, especially boys are not known for their decision making skills. They should have never been allowed in the boat at all without supervision. That means no access to the keys.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, those parents may have the rest of their lives to blame themselves.  I hope they may still be found.  

Are there no age requirements to pilot a boat?

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Unfortunately, those parents may have the rest of their lives to blame themselves.  I hope they may still be found.  

Are there no age requirements to pilot a boat?

Age 14 and up. But it doesn't say on the rules if an adult has to be present. 

Honored Contributor

The parents of these children are negligent imo.  The Coast Guard isn't even sure if they are wearing life jackets........

Super Contributor

One life vest was found in the hull of the boat.