Esteemed Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

@June2 wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

Sorry, I disagree. It is a parent's job to know where your children are and what thay are doing. If those parents had a rule that an adult must accompany them on the boat then the situation would be much different. You don't leave teens unsupervised especially with a boat.

If only the world were so perfect!

In the case of boating, I do think an adult should have been with them.  No real reason to allow them out on the water without an adult. No matter how experienced they were, they are children. 

Esteemed Contributor

Mutt mom - when my kids were young we had a pool in our yard - kids knew they were never to be near it without a  qualified adult. In the town we lived in there were no sidewalks, street lights - they had to be driven everywhere so it was easier to keep track of them. Once both of them went to the Dave Matthews concert in NJ - I drove the younger one with some friends, I had snacks and a thermos of coffee to tide me over til the concert ended. As luck would have it, a gate was left open and that just said Come on in & enjoy the concert!! Saw both my girls and knew just where they were and who they were with!! It's hard to keep track every minute but you have to believe you instilled values - and learn to sort truth from fibs lol

Honored Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

My kids were required to ask permission to visit friends etc. I callled to check in with them. If they were not where they said they would be then they were grounded. Several of my son's friends commented that he was lucky that I had rules and cared where he was and who he was with.

Preach!  I'm not afraid to be stalker Mom, I've told both my boys time and time again, don't make me do it, lol.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

My kids were required to ask permission to visit friends etc. I callled to check in with them. If they were not where they said they would be then they were grounded. Several of my son's friends commented that he was lucky that I had rules and cared where he was and who he was with.

Preach!  I'm not afraid to be stalker Mom, I've told both my boys time and time again, don't make me do it, lol.

Yeah, I was pretty much on top of things with our boys just like we were with our daughter (the youngest), there was no difference 'just because they were boys'.

I didn't allow them to get their licences when they were 16 either.  Too young for my comfort, I'm proud to say.  I preached that to them from the crib on.  So it was no surprise to them.  It was accepted.  End of discussion.

I am just as close to my grandchildren as I though they were my own.  I wouldn't have let them take the boat out even if Mom and Dad said it was okay.  Would'nt want that on my watch, my conscience.  That grandmother is now living a hellish regret I'm sure.  Cell phone calls or at the very least, texting, should've taken place long before four hours passed.

I don't think I could ever fall asleep again for as long as I lived, if my child were somewhere out in that ocean and not found.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

Yeah, I was pretty much on top of things with our boys just like we were with our daughter (the youngest), there was no difference 'just because they were boys'.

I didn't allow them to get their licences when they were 16 either.  Too young for my comfort, I'm proud to say.  I preached that to them from the crib on.  So it was no surprise to them.  It was accepted.  End of discussion.

I am just as close to my grandchildren as I though they were my own.  I wouldn't have let them take the boat out even if Mom and Dad said it was okay.  Would'nt want that on my watch, my conscience.  That grandmother is now living a hellish regret I'm sure.  Cell phone calls or at the very least, texting, should've taken place long before four hours passed.

I don't think I could ever fall asleep again for as long as I lived, if my child were somewhere out in that ocean and not found.

A close relative lost his life in a situation that was horrific and you think you can't ever sleep and eat until there's closure but you can't maintain that kind of life and you can't torture yourself or you'll go insane.  Plain and simple.  

You have no idea what you'll be asked to go through in this life.  You just do the best you can and that's all you can do.  And you have to be there to support your loved ones who are suffering the greatest loss a parent can know.  

Honored Contributor

I find this quite odd that 2 boys  could just take such a trip by themselves.  I too saw that interview and it was so matter of fact,no tears, no nothing.  where did these kids the money to fuel this huge boat, and just go off like it was a picnic in the park.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

What I don't understand is how a 19 ft boat capable of going on the ocean doesn't have a GPS tracking thing ..... or at least a 2 way radio .....   aren't there requirements for these communication devices ?

A 19 ft boat is pretty small.  It may not have those things.

true ...a canoe is 15 - 16 feet in length, That's a small boat for the ocean.

Esteemed Contributor

Very sad, indeed.  It's pretty obvious that these boys have financially well off families.  Their access to a motorized boat and enough money for $110 worth of fuel says plenty.  Regardless of permission to go boating only in the inlet, this trip went awry.  But, the fact remains, they are 14!!!!!!  Not old enough to drive a car and not old enough to be on the water alone.  One parent said they had used their boats and airplanes to look for the boys.  The report also said the boys were texting friends and telling them they were headed to the Bahamas.  Yet, no one thought to call the parents.  I hope they are found alive.  And, if so, they should be grounded for months.

Honored Contributor

Some/most/many (pick your choice) young kids aren't physically/mentally capable of common sense.  That's when the parents' responsibility kicks in.  To 'guide' their kids until they are able to acquire common sense on their own.  Being aware of dangers is key.  The more that kids are aware, the safer they are (more or less and hopefully).  Throw in a bit of luck.  It's always very handy.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Where did they get $110 for gas?   When I was 14 I was lucky if I had $1.10 in my pocket.