Esteemed Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

This is truly a tragedy. With that said, the boating laws should be changed - 14 is just too young to be on the open sea. Parents said they were consummate seamen - sorry, not at 14 on the ocean in a 19' boat. Maybe they could deal with a river or inlet, but the ocean? JMO, but I would say no. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

If the boys were such experienced and seasoned boaters as their mothers' have claimed, they would have at the very least known that there was a small craft advisory in effect that day. They may have been good little fishermen and could navigate the waters of the intercoastal waterways in Jupiter but they certainly didn't know that a storm was brewing off shore that day. While other boaters were coming in from the ocean to get out of harm's way, they headed out to sea through a very treacherous inlet. I live in the area and I know those waters very well.

Their mothers who are in total denial will have to lay their heads on their pillows every night knowing that they are in part responsible for their sons' deaths. It doesn't matter if they learned how to swim before they could walk and that Jupiter, Florida is a boater's paradise, you don't assume your children are capable of boating alone. They are too young to have a driver's license, to drink, to vote and to BOAT alone!!

Honored Contributor

@LaVieEnRose wrote:

If the boys were such experienced and seasoned boaters as their mothers' have claimed, they would have at the very least known that there was a small craft advisory in effect that day. They may have been good little fishermen and could navigate the waters of the intercoastal waterways in Jupiter but they certainly didn't know that a storm was brewing off shore that day. While other boaters were coming in from the ocean to get out of harm's way, they headed out to sea through a very treacherous inlet. I live in the area and I know those waters very well.

Their mothers who are in total denial will have to lay their heads on their pillows every night knowing that they are in part responsible for their sons' deaths. It doesn't matter if they learned how to swim before they could walk and that Jupiter, Florida is a boater's paradise, you don't assume your children are capable of boating alone. They are too young to have a driver's license, to drink, to vote and to BOAT alone!!

What an excellent post!

Super Contributor

Yes, very well said.

Respected Contributor

one of the articles had comments posted that one of the boys had been issued a citation in November because the Cost Gueard found a safety violation and was fined $90. he was 13 then. seemed there were no personal flotation devices aboard the boat.

i hated to blame the parents unitl this info came out - but obviously they were aware of infractions. so there was no excuse!!!

Super Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

This is truly a tragedy. With that said, the boating laws should be changed - 14 is just too young to be on the open sea. Parents said they were consummate seamen - sorry, not at 14 on the ocean in a 19' boat. Maybe they could deal with a river or inlet, but the ocean? JMO, but I would say no. 

You people are not getting it...it is clear from the articles that the boys were NOT permitted to take the boat onto the open water...they disobeyed and paid a terrible price...risk taking teenage boys....I am not saying the parents were right or wrong to permit the boys to go into the inlet or on the intercoastal alone BUT you people need to get your facts straight before you crucify the parents....

Trusted Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

You people are not getting it...it is clear from the articles that the boys were NOT permitted to take the boat onto the open water...they disobeyed and paid a terrible price...risk taking teenage boys....I am not saying the parents were right or wrong to permit the boys to go into the inlet or on the intercoastal alone BUT you people need to get your facts straight before you crucify the parents....

What Sunnyfield said.

Super Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

I blame all parties. Parents because they were clueless about the dangers that could arise. They were over confident in the kids abilities. If they had been right, their kids would be home.  The rule should have been that a parent accompany them on all trips. They boys obviously disobeyed their parents and thay paid the ultimate price. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunnyfield wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

YES, WE DO GET IT. YOU DON'T. THE CLUELESS PARENTS PLAYED A BIG PART IN WHAT HAPPENED TO THEIR KIDS. NOT CHECKING THE WEATHER CONDITIONS WAS TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE.

Super Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@Sunnyfield wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

YES, WE DO GET IT. YOU DON'T. THE CLUELESS PARENTS PLAYED A BIG PART IN WHAT HAPPENED TO THEIR KIDS. NOT CHECKING THE WEATHER CONDITIONS WAS TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE.

I disagree...in my opinion (you don't need to yell at me) some of you are very self righteous and think you know where your kids are and what they are doing at all times...must be nice to be so perfect and have perfect children.....and never ever make a mistake...your kids are so lucky to have parents like you....