Honored Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

'All in all', more/many/some families need a few rules and regulations.  Worked for me.  Seems as though it's carried down through the generations.  What worked for our parents, often times (and luckily) worked for us and for our kids.  And so forth and so on.  I'm thinking that example is our greatest teacher.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I haven't read all replies, but I will say that when you are raised in a certain location where something like hunting, or boating or other things that most think of as for adults or adult supervised, you know more than most about the activity. 

These kids learn and do from birth because of where they live and how their families and communities live and function. I'm sure these boys were as capable and knowledgeable (or more) than many men twice their age. 

But.....they are still kids. They will make judgements without the luxury of a whole lifetime of experience, and they will tend to feel invincible because of their age. And those things can lead to getting in over one's head. 

As their parent, I would be blaming myself right now, regardless of how experineced they were, and how competent they had performed in the past. It is our job to protect them, and I would be feeling like I failed. I'm not sure I'd ever get over it, or forgive myself for it, no matter the outcome.

Honored Contributor

Who knows?  Maybe they were going to meet with online so-called 'friends'.  Something or someone had to have prompted them to specifically sail away to the Bahamas.  This could end up being some type of criminal case.  Hoping the authorities check their texts and/or computers.  Wishing them the very best outcome.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I'm so confused by this.  The parents called and reported the boys missing.  If the parents didn't tell the Coast Guard the boys were headed to the Bahamas, why did the Coast Guard think that?  I thought that was the basis for the beginning of the search.

Nobody knows how many life jackets were on the boat.  They had no radio.  These are things I've read in news reports.  It all seems very strange.

I haven't seen any interviews, but I don't understand that either.  Do they think people will be more diligent in the search if they are on tv?  I think the Coast Guard will do all they can no matter what.      

Super Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

I am constantly amazed that people refuse to wear life jackets. I read at least once a week about boaters or river runners NOT wearing a life vest. Lots of times it's even children (sometimes they don't even know how to swim!) with adults! They think they are great swimmers and don't need them or don't like how they look in them (!!!??? does this make me look fat?) but it doesn't matter if your boat capsizes or you get caught in rough white water. Accidents happen FAST. For children to be out on the water without a life jacket is child endangerment. For adults it's just plain stupid. They are called LIFE jackets for a good reason.

We don't know for sure if they were wearing them or not. There were life jackets in the boat, one was found in the water and one was found in the hull of the boat. There was a storm so anything could have happened.An encounter with sharks is a distinct possibility.

This is exactly what I was pointing out. They don't do much good if YOU DON'T WEAR THEM!

They could have been wearing life jackets, most boats have extra life jackets on board,

sure they do..........but you're talking 14 year old boys with no adult there telling them to put them on..........trust me some 14 year old boy isn't going to follow certain rules of safety on his own.............................raven

You missed the point................. they could both be wearing life jackets, the ones that were found could have been extra ones on the boat. A life jacket isn't going to save your life if you are attacked by a shark!

Super Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Sunnyfield wrote:

From what I have read, the boys apparently ventured farther than they were "allowed" to go...they had probably gone out on this boat numerous times before and either never went beyond the "allowed" inlet or wherever their parents permitted, or made a couple of "test runs" into open water, and never had a problem...

C'mon people, were you ever teenagers - pushing the limits is what they do - sadly, this time they got into trouble...

Please don't blame the parents...kids do crazy, dangerous things all the time (as do some adults)...fortuntely most survive...

I did....

I am shocked that people here are blaming these parents.  I think it is totally unfair....especially if the story that they ventured off on their own, went further then they were supposed to go, and were told not to!  I can remember "many" times I wasn't where I told my parents I was at 14.  If something would have happened to me....it would totally have been on me.  I pray these kids are ok and I hope these parents don't get blamed for the poor decisions of their children.  It happens.  It's sad....but kids this age don't always listen.

Which is exactly why the parent's should not have let them go in the first place.

Super Contributor

Yes the boys had completed a safety course that also included survival skills.

Super Contributor

Since they are children, and children don't always obey their parents, it is the responsibilty of the parents to think ahead and use common sense when permitting children to do things. It defies common sense to let two teenage children to use a boat without adult supervision. I don't care if they were born in the water, they are not ready to be turned loose on the on the ocean with a small boat.

Honored Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

Yes the boys had completed a safety course that also included survival skills.

Well, let's see when this story is over how well that worked for them.

Who knows even if they boys will ever be found?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Sunnyfield wrote:

From what I have read, the boys apparently ventured farther than they were "allowed" to go...they had probably gone out on this boat numerous times before and either never went beyond the "allowed" inlet or wherever their parents permitted, or made a couple of "test runs" into open water, and never had a problem...

C'mon people, were you ever teenagers - pushing the limits is what they do - sadly, this time they got into trouble...

Please don't blame the parents...kids do crazy, dangerous things all the time (as do some adults)...fortuntely most survive...

I did....

I am shocked that people here are blaming these parents.  I think it is totally unfair....especially if the story that they ventured off on their own, went further then they were supposed to go, and were told not to!  I can remember "many" times I wasn't where I told my parents I was at 14.  If something would have happened to me....it would totally have been on me.  I pray these kids are ok and I hope these parents don't get blamed for the poor decisions of their children.  It happens.  It's sad....but kids this age don't always listen.

Which is exactly why the parent's should not have let them go in the first place.

Oh, like kids never lie about where they are going, or what they are going to do.

They could have asked for permission to go to "X", and the parents granted them permission to go to "X", but they boys had other plans in mind.

For example, "Mom, can we go to the mall?"

Mom: "Okay."

But, once out of the house, they kids go on a compleatly different tangent.

Because unless the parent is physically attached to their kid 24/7/365, you never know for 100% certainty where the kids are 100% of the time. You may think that you do, but trust me, kids lie. If they think that they can get away with doing something, trust me, they'll do it.