Honored Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

The moms were on the Today Show this morning, and they are still hopeful.  They addressed the accusations, and defended their position.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not have children, so I have no idea what I would have done, but I'm pretty sure I would not have given free reign to my 14 year old son to go out on a boat alone or with a friend.

Having said that, I was so infuriated in watching the mothers being interviewed about all of this.  They were justifying their actions and, the fact remains, it doesn't make any difference now what the kids were allowed to do or not.  They are gone and likely dead.

If they had ANY memory of having been that young, they would have known better and not allowed the boys out alone without an adult.  Yes, they were told not to go into the ocean, but in what universe does a teenager follow his/her parents instructions ALL THE TIME. 

The ocean and nature are unforgiving!  It cost them their lives.

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

The moms were on the Today Show this morning, and they are still hopeful.  They addressed the accusations, and defended their position.

Sadly, these families will suffer with guilt and devastation for the rest of their lives if these boys are gone.

Esteemed Contributor

I really, really try not to judge people.  As much as I am trying, if my child were lost in the ocean, no boat to hang on to, I know I would not be on national TV being interviewed. If I were in that situation, I would be camping out in my church on heavy medication.  My worst nightmare would be the loss of one of my children or one of my little grandchildren.  Their happiness is my happiness; their sorrow is my sorrow.  Don't know how these mothers are managing.  Has to be denial.

Respected Contributor

I am praying they show up but it's hard to imagine that will happen.

When I was their age I'd already been working parttime babysitting for neighborhood kids for 2 years.  I remember saving $40 which to me was a ton of money at the time.  Out of curiousity, I went to an inflation calculator and if I did things correctly, that money today would be $277.  So I guess it's possible they had money to fill the boat on their own.  

Anyway, no matter where they got the money, as a parent of sons who did some things they shouldn't have done as teens, I feel so sad about this situation.

Respected Contributor

I am constantly amazed that people refuse to wear life jackets. I read at least once a week about boaters or river runners NOT wearing a life vest. Lots of times it's even children (sometimes they don't even know how to swim!) with adults! They think they are great swimmers and don't need them or don't like how they look in them (!!!??? does this make me look fat?) but it doesn't matter if your boat capsizes or you get caught in rough white water. Accidents happen FAST. For children to be out on the water without a life jacket is child endangerment. For adults it's just plain stupid. They are called LIFE jackets for a good reason.

Super Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

I am constantly amazed that people refuse to wear life jackets. I read at least once a week about boaters or river runners NOT wearing a life vest. Lots of times it's even children (sometimes they don't even know how to swim!) with adults! They think they are great swimmers and don't need them or don't like how they look in them (!!!??? does this make me look fat?) but it doesn't matter if your boat capsizes or you get caught in rough white water. Accidents happen FAST. For children to be out on the water without a life jacket is child endangerment. For adults it's just plain stupid. They are called LIFE jackets for a good reason.

We don't know for sure if they were wearing them or not. There were life jackets in the boat, one was found in the water and one was found in the hull of the boat. There was a storm so anything could have happened.An encounter with sharks is a distinct possibility.

Respected Contributor

i can't get over those mothers! reality has not set in!  i feel so bad for them!   i would be sooo medicated i couldnt even walk!  just having a child lost in the store would make me hysterical!  i think they just trusted those kids more than they should have

now the Guard and Navy is looking off the coast of St.Augustine over 75 miles out to sea and that is the point the gulf stream veers north east off the coast.   they say the CG has already covered square miles the size of Indiana!  praying for those boys. a miracle is needed NOW

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

We don't know for sure if they were wearing them or not. There were life jackets in the boat, one was found in the water and one was found in the hull of the boat. There was a storm so anything could have happened.An encounter with sharks is a distinct possibility.

This is exactly what I was pointing out. They don't do much good if YOU DON'T WEAR THEM!

Esteemed Contributor

While this is such a sad situation, it is hard to imagine 14 y/o surviving the Atlantic Ocean. Storms spring up in the blink of an eye. i always thought there was an age limit for taking a boat into open water - is there not? And, who is responsible for the cost of this rescue mission?