Trusted Contributor

14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

Is it just me or does anyone else think it was not right for 2 young 14 year old boys to go alone in a boat on the ocean?   

I watched one of the parents being interviewed today and she was so nonchalant about it, saying "We haven't given up hope that they are okay."

That is fine, but why wasn't an adult with them?   The families knew the kids were going on the boat themselves.   I can maybe see going on a boat at a local lake, but the Atlantic Ocean?    They were going to travel down the coast.

I just think that the boys are too young to be off on their own in a small boat in those waters.  I have to say it, it doesn't look good that their boat is capsized in the ocean with no signs of the kids.

Honored Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Boys & Their Capsized Boat in Ocean

Two young boys alone?  That's horrible.

What's wrong with people? 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brii wrote:

Two young boys alone?  That's horrible.

What's wrong with people? 

Agreed. SMH, big time.

ETA-Sorry, just gotta say more. When and if these boys are found, and I agree with DG, it doesn't look good, these parents will want to get on TV and cry and talk about what good, responsible boys they were. Too bad they didn't have good, responsible parents.

I could just cry for those boys, but I feel nothing but anger and disgust for their parents.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I pray that they are all right. Hope 14 year olds know about life jackets/preservers and wear them. 

Honored Contributor

I kept wondering the same thing ......   they were supposedly travelling "only" 75 miles ....  and they found the capsized boat.

I don't have a good feeling about this will play out, but I DO think these idiot parents should be charged  .....  with something

Trusted Contributor

I read that they weren't allowed to take the boat out on the ocean by themselves.  That they were never allowed to take the boat out In the open ocean (let alone to the Bahamas!) by themselves.  I agree, they were too young to be on the ocean alone and there should have been an adult with them.  Kids do crazy things on their own, and it is indeed a tragedy that the boat was found without the boys.

Honored Contributor

I'm so upset about this.  I would never had allowed my child to go out in that boat without an experienced person on it. 

I'm praying for them, but I have very bad feeling about the outcome. 

Respected Contributor

In the report I heard, the step-father of one of the boys said they were only allowed in the inlet.  Apparently they went farther.  They purchased $110 worth of gas.  The fact the capsized boat was found many nautical miles away, would not be a good sign.

Esteemed Contributor

I would NEVER allow my teens to be on the water without a responsible adult. Those parents are crazy.

Respected Contributor

Apparently these boys have been doing this for some time.  Sounded to me like bad weather came in and possibly that's why their boat capsized.  If they spent the $110.00 on gas that was reported, they clearly meant to do a lot of traveling in that boat. Someone said they might have been headed for Bermuda. 

My kids? No indeed. At 14 they would not have been given that much money, and would not have been allowed to go out alone under the same circumstances.  They might have been smart enough to operate the boat, but I question whether they were wise enough to handle all the "situations" that might come up. Apparently one did. No one has mentioned life preservers, but knowing kids I'd bet they were not wearing them.

We had boats and my kids did go out into the Gulf, but never without at least one adult - even when they were young adults themselves. And everyone in the family had been through extensive training from the Coast Guard. Prefer to err on the side of caution.