Honored Contributor

Re: $100 cancellation fee for the dentist....

p.s. (again, lol):  Not to confuse my other comments with my dentist's office, which is a dream Heart ..... they send a reminder card for me to call them to make an appointment.  The receptionist always answers the phone during business hours.  No problem at all there.  Heart  Love my dear dentist and his office. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I had an unfavorable incident with a dentist's office staff that ticked me off so much I still remember it 46 years later.

Was18 and still living at home.  I had just started a job about 30 miles away. Back then at work employees didn't have access to outside lines to make phone calls.  I was getting a toothache and asked my mother to contact a local dentist. (To this day I have only ever had two toothaches and that was one of them).

Anyway, my mom called this dentist's office up and asked to schedule an emergency appointment.  The receptionist told her, "Well if your daughter would keep her appointments, may-be she wouldn't be having a toothache."  Okay......my mother shot back, "She's a new patient and has never been there before so how could she have missed appointments."  Instant silence.  Yes I got an appointment, but after the issue was resolved I never returned and found another dentist.

Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny Yes, those incidents stick with you do they not?  I wish I could remember all the wonderful things people have done rather than the nasty things hateful people have done. Perhaps, it is part of the human condition. Sigh

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, It's just a 'ranting' thread.  Sort of a 'pet peeve' thread.  Nothing meant to be hateful.   Just 'chit chat' among friends/posters, which is human nature.  (Said in a nice way) ............ And we do learn and remember from other folks' experiences. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I just tried a new dentist....same thing...their policy is a $100 cancellation fee (donated to St. Jude) don't remember how long you have to cancel appt....didn't know this until I got there for my cleaning.  I have never cancelled BUT things can happen in life like waking up sick the day of a appt....I needed x-rays and also.  Thinking I will go in for my next one and then try another local place....will remember to ask what their "fees" are before I book.  

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

That's awful!

Did she tell you ahead of time that the punishment cost had changed?

I don't think it's legal if she didn't.  You might want to argue that with her.

Esteemed Contributor

I do know most doctors have some type of fee for missed or changed appts at the last minute and I do realize why because we have friends who are both doctors and dentists and it is amazing to me how people will do this often. 

However, most of the doctors I have heard of doing this are for patients who constantly are late and missing appts altogether or cancelling them with very short notice regularly. They aren't doing it for long time patients who rarely do this. 

If I were you, I would actually write a letter to the dentist or speak with him personally. Many times this is actually the work of an overzealous staff and the doctor/dentist doesn't even know this is happening. A lot of drs have this rule but don't want it used on a good patient who rarely does this. 

If all this has been done and he is aware and you aren't a patient who is often late or misses appts, I would definitely drop this practice like a hot rock. 

If I am a good patient and wait for my doctor/dentist and have waited for them sometimes up to an hour, I would expect a little leeway in return. It seems most of my doctors have made me wait at least 20-30 minutes in the waiting room before I even get into an exam room and then sometimes I have to wait there too! If I was late once or had to cancel an appt for a good reason, I would flip out if I was charged a dime. No ma'am. I could see if it was someone who made a habit out of that but not a good patient who has been with them for a long time like your family has. Not acceptable.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 and @Noel7:

As you can see, this happened almost 2 months ago and I've moved on with the kids to my dentist with great results.  In that time period, I would (and still do) receive reminder emails/texts to bring them in for their "missed appointment" (the first being the day AFTER this even occurred). Believe it or not, I've called the office FIVE TIMES requesting to speak to either the dentist (not in) and then the office manager (not available). I leave a message to please call me.....no call back. I've also informed the front desk (who answers the phone) to stop with the reminders as we are NO LONGER your patients.

Still, they come.

At this point, I don't give a flip about their policies, why they did what did or do what they do. My boys love their new dentist, I don't have to worry about a cancellation fee should something happen with my son (they handle his dental care and understand very well the situation) and all is well.

I truly believe her practice is packed with patients (and has a long waiting list) that my situation isn't worth their time or effort to attempt to have me keep a positive impression of the place. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 and @Noel7:

As you can see, this happened almost 2 months ago and I've moved on with the kids to my dentist with great results.  In that time period, I would (and still do) receive reminder emails/texts to bring them in for their "missed appointment" (the first being the day AFTER this even occurred). Believe it or not, I've called the office FIVE TIMES requesting to speak to either the dentist (not in) and then the office manager (not available). I leave a message to please call me.....no call back. I've also informed the front desk (who answers the phone) to stop with the reminders as we are NO LONGER your patients.

Still, they come.

At this point, I don't give a flip about their policies, why they did what did or do what they do. My boys love their new dentist, I don't have to worry about a cancellation fee should something happen with my son (they handle his dental care and understand very well the situation) and all is well.

I truly believe her practice is packed with patients (and has a long waiting list) that my situation isn't worth their time or effort to attempt to have me keep a positive impression of the place. 

@SahmIam I completely agree with you, I am sorry I didn't realize you had tried to call that many times. I should have read more carefully, I apologize. How disappointing that someone you have been with for that long can't even return your call. I would be upset too and I think you definitely did the right thing!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam   Boy , I guess I am lucky.  I had to cancel many times when my hubby was so sick.  I was never charged a penny.  My dentist has a answering machine, and you can reach him even on weekends for an Emergency.  You did the right thing by not paying.

I had a Dr. jerk me around , so I went online and gave him a bad review.  You may be able to do that with Dentists also.  I would check and leave one if you can.  That is just wrong!