It's hard to believe it's been so long.

So sad to watch the tv shows with footage from

then.  Were any of our posters there

or have family or 

friends there when the storm hit?

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

Re: •••10 Years Since Hurricane Katrina•••

I went with a group of volunteers from MI. We got there in Nov, spent a month. Not the first wave of responders but prob the 2nd or the 3rd. Relieving those who were already exhausted.

Tragic stories. I went to lend a hand but still believe my best gift was to listen to those who lived thru it. People stood welcoming us with tears saying "thank you for coming. We think we're being forgotten".

A girl should put her behind to work when necessary and give generously of her talents when able to do so instead of just posting about her outrage from the comfort of her easy chair.

Respected Contributor

Nobody in my life was there, for which I am very thankful.  I have watched some of Anderson Cooper's reporting from there & am quite amazed at some of the following up on victims & survivors they have been able to do.  Considering all the chaos at the time, it must take some dogged research to find out what happened to some of those people.  I was even more surprised that I remembered some of them from that long ago.  Obviously, the event made a huge impression on me.

Honored Contributor

I was blessed to be able to be there for @ 6 weeks doing animal rescue.  Arrived 3 days > Katrina hit and was 'on the ground' really, in a tent when hurricane Rita passed over. The things I saw, good, bad, happy, and heartbreaking, will never leave my heart.

N.O. is my favorite city in the US, had been there many times. Have only gotten back once since then, but in a few weeks I'm going back for a visit and a volunteer reunion.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I went with a group of volunteers from MI. We got there in Nov, spent a month. Not the first wave of responders but prob the 2nd or the 3rd. Relieving those who were already exhausted.

Tragic stories. I went to lend a hand but still believe my best gift was to listen to those who lived thru it. People stood welcoming us with tears saying "thank you for coming. We think we're being forgotten".

A girl should put her behind to work when necessary and give generously of her talents when able to do so instead of just posting about her outrage from the comfort of her easy chair.

Thank you for volunteering @Snowpuppy.Heart

Respected Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Nobody in my life was there, for which I am very thankful.  I have watched some of Anderson Cooper's reporting from there & am quite amazed at some of the following up on victims & survivors they have been able to do.  Considering all the chaos at the time, it must take some dogged research to find out what happened to some of those people.  I was even more surprised that I remembered some of them from that long ago.  Obviously, the event made a huge impression on me.

Yes a a real life nightmare.😔

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@I was blessed to be able to be there for @ 6 weeks doing animal rescue.  Arrived 3 days > Katrina hit and was 'on the ground' really, in a tent when hurricane Rita passed over. The things I saw, good, bad, happy, and heartbreaking, will never leave my heart.

N.O. is my favorite city in the US, had been there many times. Have only gotten back once since then, but in a few weeks I'm going back for a visit and a volunteer reunion.

Thank you for volunteering @Drythe.Heart

Trusted Contributor

Yes, we were here in Texas.  Roads were clogged, no power, no gas for days.  Thousands of people trying to find a safe haven.  It was 103 degrees for several days after the storm and people were sick from the heat.  We learned a lot of lessons after that.  Always have a supply of water, canned goods, generator, and plenty of gas.

Respected Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

Yes, we were here in Texas.  Roads were clogged, no power, no gas for days.  Thousands of people trying to find a safe haven.  It was 103 degrees for several days after the storm and people were sick from the heat.  We learned a lot of lessons after that.  Always have a supply of water, canned goods, generator, and plenty of gas.

That had to be so scary @luv-the-Q.

Good advice, thank you.👍👍👍

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@I was blessed to be able to be there for @ 6 weeks doing animal rescue.  Arrived 3 days > Katrina hit and was 'on the ground' really, in a tent when hurricane Rita passed over. The things I saw, good, bad, happy, and heartbreaking, will never leave my heart.

I just received the Best Friends animal rescue monthly magazine.  It focuses on the Katrina 10th year "anniversary."  (I'm putting that in quotes since even though anniversary is rather a neutral term, that occurrence was anything but neutral.)

Anyway, Best Friends says that 6000 pets were given help by BF.  Only some went back to their original people, many went on to other shelters, and some are still being cared for at Best Friends site in Utah. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.