Valued Contributor

Re: Independence Day TSV - American West Naja Necklace

I'm kind of surprised at all the negative critiques.  I think it is a very modern, chic twist on an old standby.  

I love the shiny silver and the double/single beads.  I don't care for the rope inspired-naja all that much but I think it's a solid design by Carolyn.

I tend to gravitate more to Native American designers but Carolyn did a wonderful job with this one.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Oostende, I agree that it's a lovely piece. In fact, you'll notice the reviews showing up are five star. I think it's a reasonable price given the materials and craftmanship. It's versatile with the ability to wear it with the naja or not. I thought it was fantastic looking when Carolyn showed it with the new Sleeping Beauty enhancer that's round with the single squash blossom dangle. In fact, I like it with that enhancer more than the naja that comes with it. And I like it alone. It's just that I have so many of her native pearl necklaces and najas that I'm at a point where I have to be over the moon about anything similar to buy it. I'm sure there will be plenty of satisfied customers with this one and if you decide to buy it I hope you enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

I admired it briefly; I thought she did a good job on something that would suit a lot of people. Then I reminded myself of the other turquoise/silver necklaces that I already own and never wear.

Believe it or not, you almost never see these squash blossoms actually worn in the Southwest. I've seen two in the 15+ years I've lived in NM. I saw a newspaper photo taken recently at the opening of the new SW jewelry museum and several women were wearing them. I think something like Carolyn's necklace is a lot more practical than a huge, full-blown squash blossom.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Qulia.  Smiley Happy  I don't think I'll buy it.  I just appreciate the design.  When I saw the preview, I thought some of the Sistas would burn up the phone lines to buy it.  

Kachina, I grew up in Durango, Colorado, and when I was a girl we used to see some of the older Navajo ladies in the voluminous velvet skirts wearing the squashes along with spectacular rings and bracelets.  You just don't see that anymore.  The era has passed, I suppose.  

Anyway, Happy Independence Day to all!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
I still get my traditional NA squash out and wear with a white tee and shredded jeans or what ever. I think they are timeless (:
Trusted Contributor

Oostende I live in Durango right now...been here since 1977..I was just in Mancos and one of those little skirted ladies was selling jewelry outside the P&D store....I almost bought one of her bracelets but thought I'd wait to see what the Q was gonna sell today....DW
Valued Contributor

Hi, Dancingwoman!  I've seen your posts before.  I know you're in Durango.  Smiley Happy

My family moved there in 1972.  I was in the third grade.  I graduated from Durango Senior High in 1982.

I live in the Tetons now.

Both my brother and my parents still live in Durango.  I visit a few times a year.

I was specifically thinking of Farmington and Shiprock when I mentioned seeing the older women with the squash blossoms.  I'm sure you still see the traditional dress when they are selling jewelry.  I just don't see them in the supermarkets, and going about their business, like I used to but I only spend a few weeks a year in Durango.  You'd know better than I.  Lots has changed.

Trusted Contributor

Yep....a lot has changed here....the town grew in a different direction than it was in the 70's and 80's...progress I guess...DW
Valued Contributor

(I posted this in a different thread on roughly the same topic. But maybe its a better fit over here?):

Living in Santa Fe for many years, I have accumulated a very large collection of  Native American jewelry. I am a fan of jewelry as art. And I love the ethnography of pieces around the world.

Its sorta my "thang". Smiley LOL

I like the fact that AW is American-made. Its infused here and there with pieces deigned by Native American artists (although the majority are not and are indeed merely the style).

Often, AW - for me - is a bit too "western Victorian" inspired for my personal tastes. Its a valid style, just not my style.

I think what AW does best is when they offer a rather simple, contemporary design. I'm not a flourishes and 1870's silver mine curly cue details person.

And the pieces which attempt to look like or pay homage to traditional Native American pieces, while nice, are definitely fashion-bent rather than authentic in most ways.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. QVC is a fashion-oriented retailer and not a museum store, if you will. lol

When you live in Santa Fe, you obviously see the world's greatest Native American jewelry and designs. You also see the sticker prices. So AW, for what it offers, does a rather good job delivering at a very particular price point.

I have been to the WAREHOUSES of jewelry that are in Albuquerque. Not just the slew of stores offering more accessible items as AW is - but actual warehouses where there are simply thousands and thousands of pieces housed...and ready to supply stores everywhere (all over the world).

You then really see why the premier jewelers have the status and prices which they do. Most of the jewelry produced is "western native" (sometimes Native American) in mass production. Santa Fe and a few galleries in Albuquerque offer true artisan pieces. And the prices are in the thousands -to start.

Some of the best deals - sometimes (only sometimes) - is a find when you're in Gallup, NM. That's rather the heart of where many Native American artisans live, work or do a lot of business. When you hit upon an incredible old pawn piece...it can be INCREDIBLE in both quality and price.

(Even writing about it gets my juices flowing). Smiley LOL

So if one wants the basic "look", AW pieces, if selected carefully, can blend in or even do the trick. But in regards to the SB squash blossom necklace currently available, all that I personally see is a fashion piece. There is something "off" about the marriage between the necklace and the naja. Of course, they can be worn separately and there are myriad squash blossom designs made (there are classic, quintessential examples but also any variety of details).

But the naja's silverwork paired with the necklace look - TO ME - a bit hodge-podge or piecemeal. Its close but no cigar as they say in the cigar stores (or somewhere cigars are of importance to people). Smiley Happy

For the MONEY and on EZ pay, it can do the trick or give a person that squash blossom "fix". Its not one I would buy as it just looks more fashion than authentic. But again, that's just me.

In fact, I'd have preferred it had been sold just as the necklace portion. I think its more elegant and striking than trying to force that particular naja into the picture.

But a genuine, authentic NATIVE AMERICAN (and not just American) -made piece could start almost twice the price of the AW one. I have pieces which are now worth tens of thousands of dollars.

I once bought a HUUUUUGE Sleeping Beauty cuff for $200 at Santa Fe Indian Market (every August, by the way - a huuuge event) maybe 15 years ago. Today, its value is at $4500 approx.

I KNOW! Smiley Very Happy

But its Native American and huuuuuuge...and fortunately I was buying up SB when it really was still a true sleeper (of a stone).

Bottom line though as with anything, if you think its worth it to you and you can pay for it...you buy what you love. You'll rarely go wrong. You just don't want to ever be ripped off.

I think AW fills a niche and is quite reasonable for what it is.

PS) And classic squash blossom necklaces always have two (sometimes three) rows of beads. Its to stablize the squash blossoms so they don't flip about or around when its on.

Valued Contributor

I sort of agree with you SurfK and I sort of don't.  I do think Carolyn is far more Western than Indian.  She captures a Dale Evans/Route 66 vibe.

Still, I don't think there is a single Native American style that is more authentic than another.  The old sandcast pieces of the 30s and 40s have a very different feel than a Tommy Singer from the 1980s or a Ben Nighthorse Campbell piece now.  And, of course, the designers themselves evolve over time.

In addition, the Native Americans frequently design one style for other Natives and a completely different style to suit a more European/Western/tourist taste.  

Art is constantly evolving and Native American jewelry is no exception.  The main thing is to just buy what you like.  Smiley Happy