Regular Contributor

How do you clean your Carolyn Pollack pieces?

I have used the cleaning cloths that I purchased from carolynpollack.com, but they really don't clean as well as I would like. Some of my pieces which I have only worn 4 or 5 times look very dark. I heard Carolyn say one time when she was on air to use toothpaste. Has anyone tried this and what brand? I googled it on the internet and it said to not use whitening toothpaste. Any suggestions that have worked for you would be greatly appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: How do you clean your Carolyn Pollack pieces?

I use silver cleaner in a tub.  It's like a smooth paste.  Comes with a sponge and gets the tarnish off really nice.  Then rinse, dry, and use a silver polishing cloth.

Respected Contributor

@laj3169 wrote:

I have used the cleaning cloths that I purchased from carolynpollack.com, but they really don't clean as well as I would like. Some of my pieces which I have only worn 4 or 5 times look very dark. I heard Carolyn say one time when she was on air to use toothpaste. Has anyone tried this and what brand? I googled it on the internet and it said to not use whitening toothpaste. Any suggestions that have worked for you would be greatly appreciated.

@laj3169   ...   I don't wear sterling jewelry but to clean the pieces I have in my home I use the Connoisseur silver cleaning cloth, it's a large size (10x10) and works great and lasts for years.  Connoisseur also makes a liquid silver cleaner, but I haven't tried that one...years ago used Tarn x, the one where you dip your silver into the liquid, worked fast but it the odor was horrid and most likely very toxic...

Valued Contributor

If your jewelry is oxidized(chemical treatment used to darken silver) to show detail and dimension. Only use a silver polishing cloth( no liquid cleaners) like Connoisseur brand sold at most Walmart stores in the jewelry dept. 

Honored Contributor

The only thing I use is a silver polishing cloth. I pick them up here and there when I see them. I'm afraid to use anything else because of the stones and oxidation. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would never use anything but a polishing cloth on my silver.  I've found the best one to be a Sunshine Cloth.  They're available at jewelry stores or I get them in quanity on eBay.  I think CP recommends them.

If you store your silver in an anti-tarnish box you'll rarely have to polish it, and then just to remove fingerprints and body oils.  Evine has some nice Wolfe boxes.  Just don't leave it sitting on the dresser.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone for your input! I appreciate it so much!

Respected Contributor

I use a silver polishing cloth to get rid of tarnish.  I also use toothpaste and and a baby toothbrush.  Don't use toothpaste that has peroxide in it.  A lot of her jewelry is oxidized so I don't use harsh cleansers because they will ruin the look.  If the piece has gemstones in it I try not to get the stone wet.