Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- June 2015 (Part 2)

[ Edited ]
Lainey, thanks for getting us started again. I am so disappointed because there were some good books in Part 1 that I wanted to jot down. I wonder if people could just repost titles they read this month? Darn!

Right now I'm about 2/3rd through FINDERS KEEPERS, sequel to MR. MERCEDES by Stephen King. This is going to be a trilogy. It's good but I don't find as much tension as the first book. Could be that I am distracted by all things garden related lately!

If you can take a minute, pls repost your June titles. TIA. LM
Respected Contributor

Thank you Lainey for starting this thread again. I really appreciate it.

Contributor

This is my first time posting on this thread, but I wanted to share that I just finished IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT by Judy Blume and I really enjoyed it. I am always drawn to books peopled by great characters and this book is full of them. Ms. Blume says that this will be her last novel and this one is worthy of her amazing body of work.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Finding Jake by Bryan Reardon

***I'm very much enjoying the style of the book, however, please note that it is about a school shooting ~ certainly a most disturbing topic.

Trusted Contributor

This is my first attempt to post under the new system so I have no idea how it will look.  Thanks lainy for starting the June Thread Part 2.  I'm still so disappointed by all the recent threads that didn't make the transition I can't form an opinion of the changes yet.  Here's hoping they will add the "gap threads" back in eventually!  I just finished A WEEK IN WINTER by Maeve Binchey for my Book Club.  I had never read any of her books before and was disappointed by her writing -- I kept having the feeling she was just telling me about the characters she was going to use in a book she was planning to write.  Her people never came to life for me. Such a contrast to the vivid characters in Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER which I had just finished re-reading for another group.  I read it when it first came out and remembered that I enjoyed it then but didn't remember a lot of the details.  [Hey, I see one feature I do like about the new Board -- there's an Auto Save feature built in.  Maybe now we won't lose so much carefully considered writing before we can hit the POST button.)

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Havarti, for the information about A Dog Named Leaf -- I'm glad to know someone can write a dog book without a sad ending!

New Contributor

I'm halfway through The Girl On The Train (Paula Hawkins).  It's not a "can't put it down novel" for me. 

Honored Contributor

I just want to say that out of any topic which 'suffers' from loosing the past content, I think you guys in the book forum have a right to be upset.

I used to read constantly, not so much now.  I understand how nice it is to have other's critique and give recommendations on books you are either thinking of reading or maybe you would have never considered until you read a recommendation here.

I also understand (because we here on TV have it) that you develop a kind of relationship with people here (in your case the book section) and; whereas, you might not want to delve into a book someone you aren't familiar with recommended, you might want to try one a friend here recommended because maybe you see you think similarily.

Again, I am sorry that you guys lost so much of your past posts.  Just wanted to tell you.   Annabelle...

Trusted Contributor

I agree with you, Flowers ~ I finished it, but didn't understand all the "hype" about this book. 

Respected Contributor

I just obtained The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organising by Marie Kondo (that title is quite a mouthful).  I don't consider myself a "clutter" person but I'm hoping to learn something relevant about decluttering from this book.