Esteemed Contributor

Did anyone else like the old "True Confessions" magazine? The older it was, usually the better the stories were.

I grew up reading those campy, melodramatic stories. LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: True Confessions magazine

Yes, I remember that publication but was never much for subscribing to or reading magazines.

Valued Contributor

I loved those stories, esp. on a summer day in the backyard, no one bothering me.................just reading and eating my ice cream............................

Honored Contributor

I THINK I remember them.  What were some of the stories like?  Give me a hint so it will jog (if possible) my brain.

Respected Contributor

Trueconfess.jpgI can't find any covers from the 70's for confessions   I read other peoples copys but wasn't allowed to buy it.  There were 3 true confessions, true experience, true story.

Honored Contributor

I sometimes buy Star Magazine (they are the one's who broke the John Edwards fiasco) and People Magazine.  Then I give them to a friend who then gives them to another friend.

I don't believe everything of what I read in them and it's not like I care.  It's something I can spend 5 minutes on then put down and pick back up.

They often have a grain of truth in them though.

Honored Contributor

When I was a teenager, I'd sometimes sneak and read someone's book.  I thought they were naughty.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Foxxii, isn't it crazy the changes on the way things are now (with children being able to see everything and anything on the internet now vs what we saw growing up.

There's no mystery now or things to wait for.  Like being old enough to wear eye makeup or even now trying to keep little children knowing about the magic of Santa Claus.  It's a shame really.

Honored Contributor

My aunt had these and  we'd sneak and read them even though we were told not to. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Did anyone else like the old "True Confessions" magazine? The older it was, usually the better the stories were.

I grew up reading those campy, melodramatic stories. LOL

I actually wrote for them for several years, along with True Story and Modern Romances. I enjoyed writing them so much, creating characters from different backgrounds and locations. I used to read them when I was a teenager, and always thought the stories were real. 

I wrote my first story and sent it in, never thinking they'd accept it. But, they did and I sold about 50 stories over the years. I wish I could still write them, but there are only a few magazines left. A few years ago I called and spoke to a new editor, and she told me they had cut the staff significantly and were backloaded with thousands of stories. She said I certainly could submit my stories but the chances were slim that it would get read in the next several years lol

I found a Modern Romances dated the month and year I was born, and the headline story was "I Was a Cigarette Girl." That cracked me up!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett