Honored Contributor

Re: It's a miracle...my baby birds

Mama, thanks for the update.  I am so happy at least one of your adopted babies will be OK.

I believe GOD sent them to you to help them.  Some things are out of our hands.  I know how hard it is to keep wildlife alive.  We humans think we can do a lot (and we can) but mother nature made mama's of wildlife babies smart enough they can do the job.

I had something so small I didn't know what it was.  I called a neighbor who cares for kittens that have been deserted by their mommie.  She took it (she didn't know what it was) to a person who cares for everything.  She cared for it and when I called my friend, she called me back and said it was a baby squirrel!  It was so tightly wound up we didn't know what it was.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know.  You are wonderful, so is everyone who took the time here to advise you on how to care for the babies.  

I go to bed tonight feeling better about human kind  knowing ther are people like you and those here on our favorite website who care so much for something so small.  Good night. Annabelle/Linda

Honored Contributor

Mama, you are so awesome, so loving and giving.  I'm sorry your heart was mostly broken.

I hope little Zed goes on to have many many baby birds of his own in his lifetime.  By saving one bird you may have saved thousands or hundreds of thousands of future ones.  

Super Contributor

I'm pulling for the little bird.  It's amazing how attached we get, isn't it?  Two springs ago, a robins nest with four babies fell down. They were newly hatched and didn't have feathers on them yet.  I put the nest back in the tree, although in a different branch since I could not reach the original place. I secured it with some twine, and gingerly put the babies back. I took pictures of them and watched and watched until their mother came back and started feeding them.

Every day I snuck out there and snapped a quick picture to mark their progress. Their feathers coming in, eyes opening, starting to look like birds and sticking their heads over the top, beaks wde open.   But then one morning they were lifeless. My heart sank so hard and to this day I do not know what happened. I had stopped watching them so closely, and could not recall if the mother came to feed them the day before. I wonder if something happened to her. Just like that, they were all gone. I felt so silly to be sad over them, but I was.

I sure hope your little fighter makes it. For both of your sakes.

Honored Contributor

Well, this is my daily post about the little guys and you Mama.  Just want you to know I'm still thinking of all of you, especially you and your kind heart.

Take care of yourself and your honey.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick

I (and others) are thinking of you and hoping the tiny bird is safe and growing.

I came across this cedar waxwing on the Smithsonian site and thought of you.  If I had the ability, I'd send it to you:

Cedar Waxwing Snowglobe

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Mama  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Does anyone know what's going on with the baby bird?

Esteemed Contributor

I really have no real update except that Zed has not been set free yet.  He is ready, but the weather in Green Bay the last 10 days or so has been bad, so they are waiting for good weather..  I call about him every week.  As soon as I know, I will definitely let y'all know. 

Thank you so much for caring about him. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

I really have no real update except that Zed has not been set free yet.  He is ready, but the weather in Green Bay the last 10 days or so has been bad, so they are waiting for good weather..  I call about him every week.  As soon as I know, I will definitely let y'all know. 

Thank you so much for caring about him. 

mama, this is too funny, but I thought, in my haste to see what's happening, I read, "I call him every week.'' hahahaha I know, you wish!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for responding Mama.  I don't mean to bug you but I'm always afraid I've missed the post about Zed.

I was just talking to my friend 2 days ago about my cat Jack.  He loved playing outside.  He'd come in for lunch and after dinner stayed inside.  I live on 1 acre wooded lots dead end street.  No matter what I did that cat would run out the door.  He just showed up at my house one day.  He always stayed right around my yard.

You wouldn't believe the things he'd bring me.  He brought me several snakes.  One dead one was a copperhead, 2 live black snakes.

He brought me 2 baby bunny rabbits (always live and carried them in his mouth).  When I opened the door he'd bring them inside and put them in his little playhouse.

I put them in little cages and took them away from my property down near where there is a creek and they ran away.

One funny thing was when one of them (they were little but I went on line and it said they weren't as small as I thought they were).  OK, so Jack brought me the bunny and it rolled (it didn't hop, just rolled) down my steps and into my rec room.  Now if you knew me you'd know I could open up my own QVC store (unfortunately).  I usually give the stuff away (don't ask).   Anyway, I had an artificial tree down there from Christmas laying on it's side.  I think the rabbit thought it was outside and was nestled in the artificial tree.

The Vet said it is very difficult to keep wild baby bunnies alive, but I did until the next day (it was evening when he brought them to me).  

Another time he brought me something that looked like a tiny rolled up cigar.  It moved and I thought I saw eyes.  He was so proud that he'd given me a present.  He never hurt anything.  So I called my neighbor who keeps baby cats alive.  Her daughters took them to a wildlife place and I eventually found out it was a just born baby squirrel.  They said it had probably fallen out of the nest and if Jack hadn't found it for sure it would have died.

He died suddenly about 1 1/2 years ago.  I know that cat is in cat heaven for he was a lovable, sweet soul.  Not many cats would bring live little animals to be helped.

I was worried that he was being mean to the bunnies but the vet said the mom had probably left them to fend for themselves and maybe they'd have been fine, maybe not.  He knew Jack well (I took him in to the Vets even if he sneezed or his nose was running, he was my baby), he said he knew Jack wouldn't have hurt them.  That made me feel good..  

Everyone loved my Jack.  He'd sit for hours watching a mole hole in the yard.  My next door neighbor recently asked me if I had any other cats.  I said I have two and am able to keep them inside (all my other cats stayed inside too).  He said it didn't matter because they threw away the mold when GOD made Jack.

Isn't it funny how attached we get to our little animals.  Now I have Bill (orange Tabby, rescue) and his sister Katie (black and white).  She loves Bill (grooms him, really loves him).  He totally tolerates her but he really, really loves me.  He's always with me.  

Hope I didn't bore any of you.  Just felt like reminiscing with Bill laying next to me.