Honored Contributor

Can you compare the NEWEST Paperwhite to the Voyage or older Paperwhite?

I would like to upgrade to the newest Paperwhite or the Voyage, but would love to hear from someone who has seen both of these to compare them.    Have any of you had experience with the Voyage or newest Paperwhite?  Is the newest Paperwhite better than the last one?  I bought the new Paperwhite not too long ago, but if there is an upgrade that really is significantly better, I'm VERY interested!

Thanks!  I hope these will be on sale on the 15th!  Crossing my fingers!

Honored Contributor

Re: Can you compare the NEWEST Paperwhite to the Voyage or older Paperwhite?

Both the voyage and the PW3 have 300 ppi ( pixels per inch). The PW 2 ( which is probably the one you have) has 212 ppi)  I haven't seen them in person yet, but I've read a bunch of reviews and watched video comparing them on youtube. The main difference between voyage and paperwhite is that voyage has turn page buttons and an automatic light adjustment. Voyage is also about 1oz lighter ( 6oz vs 7oz).  The bezel is also flush with the screen, if that would make any difference to you. 

Do you like using touchscreen or would you rather have turn page buttons? Do you read in portrait or landscape? The buttons aren't in the right place if you read in landscape. As for the auto adjusting light, are you just going to want to control the front light yourself anyway? Do you have a phone with that feature ( like an iphone) and find it useful? The difference between 212 ppi and 300 ppi on a grayscale screen in very small IMO. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best Buy carries the Voyage and the Paperwhite. If you have a Best Buy near you, check online to see if your local store has both in stock and go look at both yourself. I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who owns both, especially since the new Paperwhite was just released.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Best Buy carries the Voyage and the Paperwhite. If you have a Best Buy near you, check online to see if your local store has both in stock and go look at both yourself. I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who owns both, especially since the new Paperwhite was just released.

THANKS!  I THINK we have one of those!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

THANKS!  I THINK we have one of those!

You're welcome. I checked both out when the Voyage came out and decide that it wasn't worth it to me to upgrade at that time. My Paperwhite was only a year old and I was having to buy a new iPhone I hadn't planned for, so it seemed like an unnecessary expense. With the new Paperwhite upgrades, I think I'd still go for a new Paperwhite over the Voyage. If I were left-handed, I'd splurge for Voyage, though. The page turn on a Paperwhite is much more counterintuitive for a left-handed person. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just started using the last Paperwhite that came out before this latest one that was just released). Being I'm used to the Kindle Keyboard, it's a big positive change for me with the light and the touch screen. I don't see that the Voyage is worth the additional $100 ($269 with 3G) for the page-turn buttons. At first I didn't like the touch screen page-turn, but now it's second nature and I don't even realize I'm doing it.  I love the lit screen! I don't know if I'll go back to my Kindle Keyboard, but it's good to know I have it, just in case. 

Good luck with whichever Kindle you choose. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Wonder if the new paperwhite will be on sale for amazon prime day 7/15?
Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:
Wonder if the new paperwhite will be on sale for amazon prime day 7/15?

Probably. I'm thinking we'll see the Echo, Fire TV, Fire Phone, Kindles and Fires all on sale. (Bear in mind new models may be announced in September.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

I just started using the last Paperwhite that came out before this latest one that was just released). Being I'm used to the Kindle Keyboard, it's a big positive change for me with the light and the touch screen. I don't see that the Voyage is worth the additional $100 ($269 with 3G) for the page-turn buttons. At first I didn't like the touch screen page-turn, but now it's second nature and I don't even realize I'm doing it.  I love the lit screen! I don't know if I'll go back to my Kindle Keyboard, but it's good to know I have it, just in case. 

Good luck with whichever Kindle you choose. 

Sunala, I'm so glad to read your report on your Paperwhite.  Especially interested in hearing your review of the touch screen page turn.  That's the one reason I did not consider the Paperwhite because I love the page turns on the Keyboards we have with the page turn buttons.  I'm not ready to buy now, but it was good to read your review.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone!  Maybe we can keep watching and waiting to see what will pop up on the sale day!  I figure I can afford to upgrade the Kindles frequently because I save so much getting books from the library and not spending $$$ buying them!  

Isn't wonderful also not to have to lug the books back to the library?