Respected Contributor

BOOKS Kindle First Selections

Don't forget to give your thoughts on the Kindle First Selections.  I just got the email and this month they have 6 selections.  I haven't picked any yet but I will probably select The Hundred-Year Flood by Matthew Salesses but maybe City Of Echoes lookes better. Can't decide.

The Girl from Krakow: A NovelThe Good Neighbor

About That FlingCity of Echoes (Detective Matt Jones Book 1)

Young Babylon

Honored Contributor

Re: BOOKS Kindle First Selections

@lovescats wrote:

Don't forget to give your thoughts on the Kindle First Selections.  I just got the email and this month they have 6 selections.  I haven't picked any yet but I will probably select The Hundred-Year Flood by Matthew Salesses but maybe City Of Echoes lookes better. Can't decide.

The Girl from Krakow: A NovelThe Good Neighbor

About That FlingCity of Echoes (Detective Matt Jones Book 1)

Young Babylon

I got the email too. Sometimes I don't get it. I'm a prime member and get the books for my mother. I'm going to get The Good Neighbor or City Of Echoes.

Respected Contributor

I decided to pass on these. Generally, the Kindle First selections are books produced from one of Amazon's own publishing imprints.  The books I checked from rhis months selections were such.  I've tried a few such books in the past and was disappointed with all of them.   They were only a tiny step better than self-published books.  When I'm looking for an eBook to read, the first thing I check is publisher.  If a book is not from  a traditional publishing house, I pass.  I've been burned too many times by bad books (bad writing and bad plots) from other publishing outlets.

Respected Contributor

@nomless wrote:

I decided to pass on these. Generally, the Kindle First selections are books produced from one of Amazon's own publishing imprints.  The books I checked from rhis months selections were such.  I've tried a few such books in the past and was disappointed with all of them.   They were only a tiny step better than self-published books.  When I'm looking for an eBook to read, the first thing I check is publisher.  If a book is not from  a traditional publishing house, I pass.  I've been burned too many times by bad books (bad writing and bad plots) from other publishing outlets.

Exactly my thoughts.  It's getting harder and harder to find well-written books, especially e-books, as one has to comb through the dross of self-published and re-issued offerings.

Honored Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

@nomless wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.  It's getting harder and harder to find well-written books, especially e-books, as one has to comb through the dross of self-published and re-issued offerings.

The beauty is that these books are free and who knows? They might be really well written and thought provoking. Even if they're not, you can read a bit, decide it's not for you and delete it. It's not like you're going to be stuck with them forever. Give one of them ten minutes and if you like it, keep reading it. If it disappoints you, delete it. It doesn't cost you a penny and you may just find a favorite new author.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

I pick one of the first selection choices for my Kindle every month.  Some of the books have not been very good, but as Gardenman said, it has not cost me anything, except for the time taken to read it.  I have also found books that I really enjoyed.  My choice this month is The Good Neighbor.  Hopefully it will be one of the good ones.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Marsha2003 wrote:

@nomless wrote:

The beauty is that these books are free and who knows? They might be really well written and thought provoking. Even if they're not, you can read a bit, decide it's not for you and delete it. It's not like you're going to be stuck with them forever. Give one of them ten minutes and if you like it, keep reading it. If it disappoints you, delete it. It doesn't cost you a penny and you may just find a favorite new author.

I agree it's a free book you've got nothing to lose. You might actually find a gem of a book you never would have known  

Respected Contributor

I have chosen "The Good Neighbor" for August.  I have read some gems from the Kindle First books.

Honored Contributor

I've paid thirty dollars for some books and known five pages in it was a waste of money, so anyone who wants to give me a free book is fine with me. If I like it, great. If I hate it, equally fine. It didn't cost me anything but a few minutes of reading time. I don't even have to find a place to put e-books or worry about them cluttering up a bookshelf. A couple of button pushes and they're gone.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I got City of Echoes as I have a couple books by that author.

I used to pass but they are free so I choose the one I think will suit me.   I know Bum Rap was in there one month by Paul Levine, I've enjoyed all his books and had that one on preorder.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*