Respected Contributor

BOOKS Jean M. Auel Earth's Children series any thoughts

Jean M. Auel Earth's Children series any thoughts

Audible has this series on sale and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on any of them or read the whole series.   Do you have to read all of them--- some of them don't seem to have as good reviews as the other ones.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: BOOKS Jean M. Auel Earth's Children series any thoughts

Lovescats......IF you are a BOOK reader, get the books and start with the first.   I started reading them a bizillion years ago.  They are long and very detailed and you really need to start at the beginning.   Even going with audios you need to start at CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR and go in order.  I started inthe 1981 and just finished reading the last , last year.    I enjoyed  every book.    tedEbear

Honored Contributor

Hello lovescats.  A very good friend of mine (my daughter and her son fish, kayak, camp together) is in charge of our library (big job).  She's in charge of deciding what books will be placed in the 4 new libraries we are building.  These will be books for infant to teenagers.

I sit and eat with her and the entire time 'pick her brain' as to the decision process.  It seems like such a daunting but awesome job to have.  She agreed.  Ha!

It is interesting to hear how decisions are made as to how many issues of each book should be on the shelves, how to order enough that people on wait lists aren't waiting too long, etc.

She described for me the process of reading a synopsis of each book, etc.

What most people don't think about is that the library is an integral part of a community.  It provides a lot more than just books.  

I won't bore you with more about the library.  I'm just glad people still use the library.

I would rather hold a genuine book in my hands than to try (for me the word is try) to read a book on my IPAD or listen to one in my car (which my son-in-law does every day).

We are a family of book readers and from way back my Father instilled in me the importance of a good book.  Maybe it isn't a book someone else likes, but I think all of you will agree, when WE find OUR good book, there's nothing like it.  Right?

Respected Contributor

I like them all kindle, real books and audio books.   I like to listen to audio books at night before I fall to sleep and other times.   

I it is interesting to find out how books are picked because one branch of our system all ways seems to have the new  literary fiction that I like to borrow so I'm always requesting something from that library while my local one seems to have a lot of mysteries.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Hello lovescats.  A very good friend of mine (my daughter and her son fish, kayak, camp together) is in charge of our library (big job).  She's in charge of deciding what books will be placed in the 4 new libraries we are building.  These will be books for infant to teenagers.

I sit and eat with her and the entire time 'pick her brain' as to the decision process.  It seems like such a daunting but awesome job to have.  She agreed.  Ha!

It is interesting to hear how decisions are made as to how many issues of each book should be on the shelves, how to order enough that people on wait lists aren't waiting too long, etc.

What most people don't think about is that the library is an integral part of a community.  It provides a lot more than just books.  

I won't bore you with more about the library.  I'm just glad people still use the library.

I would rather hold a genuine book in my hands than to try (for me the word is try) to read a book on my IPAD or listen to one in my car (which my son-in-law does every day).

We are a family of book readers and from way back my Father instilled in me the importance of a good book.  Maybe it isn't a book someone else likes, but I think all of you will agree, when WE find OUR good book, there's nothing like it.  Right?

Hi Annabelle I hope you're feeling better.  It would be really interesting to know some of the reasons books are chosen because when I go to the library a lot of the new releases seem to sit there week after week especially in non fiction or poetry.  I'm glad my community does have a good library system when I see how long some people have to wait for holds they've place on books. I'm glad you're there watching us post and see some favorite people-- well at least one -- banned for a day.

Honored Contributor

I've read the whole series a few times. Although I've only read the latest book once I think since I reread the series in anticipation of of the latest release. Just start with the first one and see if you want to continue. I don't think they are for everyone. I love them because I love history and anthropology so I love the details on their day to day life.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I read some of them when I was in high school. I know I read the first two and think the third.The fourth came out a few years later and I may have read that one. I know I didn't read any of the books that came out after 1990.

I enjoyed the first two books and don't really remember much about the third. The title of the fourth is familiar, but I can't remember if I read it or not.

Honored Contributor

This is one of my favorite authors/series of all time... this is probably the most I know about Anthropology... and it usurped me!  I wanted the books to never end.  I didn't realize how much reading books like this would contribute to my 2nd career -- teaching.  It was necessary to incorporate some knowledge of the elements set forth in these novels in order to help HS students in the learning lab with subjects I knew very little about.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I love this series. I remember being just so caught up in them. I am glad these are still on my shelves.I like to re-read some. These would be in that category.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Hi !  It was so nice to read what you said about reading, and about your love for books and holding a wonderful book in your hands as opposed to reading it electronically or listening to one. I absolutely concur with you word for word !

My family has been begging to buy me a Kindle and other things to "expedite" my reading, or make it easier for me to have books, in their opinion. I tell them they are all crazy and brainwashed ! Who would want to give up the pleasure of holding, feeling, perusing and smelling a great book ?? I will fight them to my death !!

I have a verylarge, extensive library that I had built into my home and I would not give it up for anything ! What do they want to do with it? Make it a pool room ?  Ha !(No, actually not !)

But as long as I can hold a book and turn the pages, that is my strongest desire.

Talking with the librarian would have been delightful . May they always remain in existence.

I loved the Jean Auel books, especially the first one.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a first edition, signed copy of Clan Of The Cave Bear, leave word here. I am selling mine. I have others, but that is the one that is autographed by her.

So glad your family, like mine, instilled reading in you. There is ALWAYS a great book waiting to be read somewhere !!