Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Chaos" by Patricia Cornwell

I used to slog through any book I started even if I wasn't enjoying it.  Not anymore. As I get older I have little patience for boring books. It especially annoys me when an author has a million facts and has to stick every single one in a book. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

hyacinth003, I think your critique is very accurate.  I used to read her early books as well, but you are right, those long interior monologues became torturous, and I agree about the lack of humor.  I had not put my thoughts about it into words before, but you've nailed it!

Thanks.  Your type of reply was what I was looking for rather than being asked why I read the book!!

Torturous is a great way to describe her inner dialogue!!  She was describing how her foot felt in her shoe, and more than once!  It was completely irrelevant to the story.  And her disapproval of how a police officer at a scene described some witnesses.  And I really didn't think there was anything wrong with it!  Everything offends Dr. Scarpetta.  It gets so tiring and is irrelevant to the story.

My only theory is that it may be filler for a lack of other detail to put into the story.  The whole world is out to get her, and despite being rich with a handsome husband, she seems miserable and humorless.  Everything is SO serious.  I'm kind of tired of niece Lucy.  She is an unrealistic character.

If she writes again, I would have to be sure it's not the same style or I won't get it to read.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

I loved her early Kay Scarpetta books.  What did it for me was in one of the books (From Potter's Field, maybe, not sure, it's been too long since I read it), where Kay and Lucy (who was also piloting the helicopter) are in a helicopter and are having a gun battle with someone (can't remember those details), and that was just ludicrous to me.  I enjoyed the forensics and relationships of the early Kay S books.  The characters and situations just went way too far off the rails for me.  

I read a few more in the series but it just got more and more unbelievable for me.  Lucy should have been wearing a superpower costume because she seemed to be invincible.

Valued Contributor

@hyacinth003  I couldn't agree more!  I quit reading it and returned to library, very glad I did not purchase it. I think at this point she is cranking out a book to fulfill a contract with the publisher. I loved the early books, it is a shame she has gone down this route.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Frequent Contributor

I liked all of her early books but then started to find mistakes regarding names and relationships, etc.  Turned out that she had started using a ghost writer and if she read them herself, she would have used a better writer. Never went back for her books again.