Respected Contributor

"Chaos" by Patricia Cornwell

I just finished this book.  I couldn't read more than a few pages at a time!

Her last books have been so tedious.  The minutiae is PAINFUL.  This book covered less than a day.  Every thought and sensation of the main character is put in writing!  A little of that is okay, a whole book of it HURTS.

And she keeps returning to her evil nemesis "Carrie."  Oh my gosh it was painful!  I keep picturing the author as her character.  Everything offends Kay!  She has no sense of humor either.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Re: "Chaos" by Patricia Cornwell

Why did you keep reading if it was so bad? I don't like fiction.--didn't, even as a child--because I think real life is more compelling and educational. That's just me. I just cannot imagine finding a book distasteful if boring yet continuing to read it.

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

Why did you keep reading if it was so bad? I don't like fiction.--didn't, even as a child--because I think real life is more compelling and educational. That's just me. I just cannot imagine finding a book distasteful if boring yet continuing to read it.

I had a friend who found it deplorable that I didn't finish a book that I started, especially the books she lent me.  I told her if they didn't hold my interest, then I couldn't go on.  

Contributor

i ran into that as well with her books several years ago.   they were becoming formulaic.   Main characters making the same stupid mistakes over and over again.  (Yes, lets open the front door at night, with a murderer after you.  Oh yea, did I mention the front porch light is suddenly not working?).    Lots of authors have followed their formulas for success.  It's just too bad their characters don't actually grow and mature like they should throughout the series.  They may get my money for a little while, but if the stories and characters can't grow... they're not gonna keep getting it.

Good luck finding good reads!

Contributor

Sometimes you have a vested amount of time/energy/etc in a book/series/.  You just HATE to give up.  So you don't.     Same reason people watch TV series even after they should be long off the air.  

Esteemed Contributor

@evisione, I think you're right about peope being invested in a series, be it book or tv.  I am more forgiving for an author I have followed for some time than a new one.  I can put up with a not so great book if it is occasional.  It is a trend, I'm gone and it is almost impossible to get me back!!!  LM

Honored Contributor

Life is too short to read books that don't hold my interest.📚

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Years ago I discovered her and got all her books from the library and devoured them all. When I got my Kindle, I began just getting samples and decided not to purchase. Just don't care for the way her writing style has changed.

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I guess some are just smarter than I must be.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

hyacinth003, I think your critique is very accurate.  I used to read her early books as well, but you are right, those long interior monologues became torturous, and I agree about the lack of humor.  I had not put my thoughts about it into words before, but you've nailed it!