Honored Contributor

Re: please recommend books on the Holocaust

Thanks, Nutmeg.  That book and most of the works of Elie Wiesel are what I've read. "Man's Search for Meaning" is one of the most incredible books I've ever read, and I recommend it to everyone.

Respected Contributor

If This Is A Man by Primo Levi

SO many possibilities!

I think my favorite must be Viktor Franlk"s Man's Search for Meaning. It is a short, but life-changing read chronicling Frankl's time in several of the Nazi Death Camps and how he kept his sanity by dwelling on the the greater significance and transformative power in the witnessing of the suffering he saw. It truly seeks to answer the question of why bad things happen to good people.

Another book is Armageddon. This book explores the Hitler youth movement from the perspective of the teenagers caught up in it.

Of course there is Night by Elie Weisel, and The Diary of Anne Frank, that is much more compelling than the movie.

As a retired English professor, I could suggest so many more, but access the Website of the B'nai Brith and they will give you so much more help than I could.

Super Contributor

I have read these four as well and highly recommend!   beanie

Super Contributor

Loved the Plum Tree....

beanie

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3 here is the thread about Holocaust books we recommend. I knew it was here somewhere, and luckily I found it quickly.

Now it will be on top so I hope you can find it!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

I just finished Lilac Girls and thought it was very good.  It's fiction based on fact.  Have lent it to several people who also found it to be a good, although sad, read.

Esteemed Contributor

I read The Third Reich when it first came out.  I was in the fifth grade, so that was my first holocaust book.  Have read many over the years, due to personnel interest and having lived in Germany for part of the 60s and again for several years in the late 70s.  One way to get Shirers book for less is buy the kindle edition.  I think Sara's Key would be a good start for you.

Occasional Contributor

I have appreciated this list of books, many of which I have read and others I look forward to reading..  My favorite of all has to be The Hiding Place, by Corrie ten boom.  It tells the true story of two middle aged dutch sisters who helped many Jews to safety during the Nazi occupation.  It is one of the great books of my life.  Definitely worth a read.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori     If not recommended earlier, I would like to recommend a book by Anne-Marie O'Connor, entitled "The Lady in Gold:  The Extraordinary Tale of Gustav Klimt's Masterpiece, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer."  

As one reviewer stated:  "This book is a true story, but it reads like a novel.  O'Connor manages to tell the reader a new story of Nazi horror, with this golden work of art at its center.

We care about "The Lady in Gold" because we want justice for Adele and her family.  We root for Maria because she says no to any more Austrian lies.

We are swept up in a charming world that no longer exists, but we also learn that, in Vienna, the seeds for another Holocaust are buried just beneath its glowing surface.

I recommend this astonishing book to anyone who is interested in World War II, the Holocaust, painting, or simply the story of a courageous family."

This is the true story that inspired the movie, Woman in Gold, starring Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds.