Honored Contributor

film version of A MAN CALLED OVE nominated for an Oscar

2015 was Frederick Backman's year.  2016 was Frederick Backman's year and now already 2017 is Frederick Backman's year.

The film has been nominated for Best Foreign Film.  I have the biggest smile on my face just from hearing the announcer read the name, "A Man Called OOH-va." 

Has anyone seen it, and if you have, what did you think?  I saw two older threads -- but they had few posts.  When I love a book that much I don't usually see the movie but now I want to see it..

Honored Contributor

Re: film version of A MAN CALLED OVE nominated for an Oscar

I love that book so much, I too can't wait to see the film. If you have  Time Warner , they have it on demand.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I saw the film - I work near a small theater that plays foreign and indie films. I cant recall seeing a film stay as long as that one - in any theater! In fact, they even added an additional time after a month or more of already playing. When I eventually saw it, it was packed.

Just as you would assume with any adaptation, it's not as good as the book. I found the ending rushed. But I still enjoyed it - loved the women in it and both actors playing Ove.

I'm excited it was nominated, but don't expect it to win. A nice little movie.
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I love that book so much, I too can't wait to see the film. If you have  Time Warner , they have it on demand.

@QVCkitty1, thanks for that!  I didn't even think to check and I'm delighted because Comcast has it On Demand too.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand this, but I was looking at the list of nominated films, and Ove is also nominated for makeup and hair!! I don't know why!! Haha
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLoriFredrick Backman has become one of my favorite author's so a BIG THANK YOU for this information!

Honored Contributor

I saw the film and absolutely loved it!  How well I understood his undying love for his late wife.  

Did the Golden Globes overlook this gem?  I don't recall that the GG nominated it.  So glad that the Oscar enterprise has given it a well-earned nod.

The film's message is golden.

Honored Contributor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_Called_Ove

No Golden Globe nomination @golding76, but it's won a bunch of awards.  Including the Swedish equivalent of the Oscar -- for, @Alter Ego, hair and makeup!!!!  Color me intrigued.

Respected Contributor

I saw the movie in November during our city's annual film festival.

It was GLORIOUS. I love both the book and the movie; they complement one another.

I'll be purchasing my own copy soon.

Honored Contributor

I also saw the movie but I do not think I would have enjoyed it if I had not already read the book.  As usual the book was much better.