Honored Contributor

Re: film version of A MAN CALLED OVE nominated for an Oscar

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline, it's a two-day rental On Demand so I'm hoping to get it tonight and watch it again tomorrow night.  Can't wait!   Saved it on purpose because I knew this would be a rough week and this is my reward!

Pull down the shades and lock your door.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline & everyone:

Wow!  Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart  

There were a few things missing that I missed but I think the decisions they made produced an awesome two-hour movie.  Wonderful. 

92% positive rating at Rotten Tomatoes, that never happens!  Highest-grossing foreign film of 2016.

Here's why it's nominated for hair & makeup, which people have been treating as a joke:  It's because the actor who plays Ove was 59 when they made the movie, same as Ove, but the actor looks much younger than his age so they they did aging makeup on him throughout. 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline, it's a two-day rental On Demand so I'm hoping to get it tonight and watch it again tomorrow night.  Can't wait!   Saved it on purpose because I knew this would be a rough week and this is my reward!

Pull down the shades and lock your door.

@Judaline, did that last night.

The first time I watched it I wasn't aware of it but I was constantly comparing it to the book, analyzing it the whole way, oh they left that out and why did they do this and etc. 

The second time that all went away and I watched with my heart not my head and I was so moved and loved it so much, and cried and laughed and loved it so. 

Esteemed Contributor

My On Demand is from Spectrum and so far no movie. Smiley Sad

Hopefully, it will be available one day soon. 

Lori, it was your excitement about the book that caused me to read it. I remember being curled up on a cozy couch, reading, and suddenly realizing hours had passed. Those are nice memories. I owe you. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I loved it--humor, sadness, and a touching ending.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori - thanks for the info about makeup nomination. I certainly didn't think it was a joke, but just didn't know the reason for it! I will say I will be very interested in watching that part of the broadcast as they usually explain the nomination.

Apparently the nomination was not a surprise. I had searched for a reason; didn't find it but did see several comments picking the favorites before the nominees were announced and Ove was always at the top.

Wishing this movie good luck!! Would like it to win something!!
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

My On Demand is from Spectrum and so far no movie. Smiley Sad

Hopefully, it will be available one day soon. 

Lori, it was your excitement about the book that caused me to read it. I remember being curled up on a cozy couch, reading, and suddenly realizing hours had passed. Those are nice memories. I owe you. Smiley Wink

@SusieQ_2, I know this from my cousin, because she was annoyed Spectrum didn't have it -- Amazon Prime has it for 99 cents.

What you wrote makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over.  Thank you and my pleasure!  It's been a joy turning so many people onto it, an amazing book I just stumbled upon.

This week Backman has all three of his books in the NY Times trade paperback bestseller list.  I don't remember that ever happening before although it must have.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego wrote:
@LoriLori - thanks for the info about makeup nomination. I certainly didn't think it was a joke, but just didn't know the reason for it! I will say I will be very interested in watching that part of the broadcast as they usually explain the nomination....Apparently the nomination was not a surprise. I had searched for a reason; didn't find it,,,

@Alter Ego, hope you don't mind me snipping your post -- I decided to find out why and I'm AMAZED.  This book and movie are the gift that keeps on giving. 

Here is a video that the husband-and-wife team that did the hair and makeup made, so you can actually see the work.  It's long at ten minutes but SO AMAZING:

https://makeupmag.com/exclusive-artist-narrated-video-man-called-ove/

And an article from the LA Times for those interested who don't have the ten minutes:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-et-mn-oscars-man-called-ove-makeup-20170223-story.h...

Incredible!!! 

Astonishing!

Prosthetics! 

Hair!  A brand-new bald cap every single day!

Freckling and moles that they matched to the younger actor!

Etc.

Etc.

No wonder they're nominated.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori

I finally saw the movie on DVD - it was wonderful on its own if you haven't read the book. Having said that, the flashbacks were done so well and the glimpses into the beginning of the lives/love story was better than the book.

I do miss more of the current characters in their interaction with OVE but you can't put in everything, right? One of the my favorite parts they left out was when Ove comfronted the father of the gay teen. Ove seemed very strait laced and order/discipline/principles were held in high regard. At most, I expect Ove to tolerate the behavior (with judgement) but when he became the teen's champion, I lost it. Ove is a softy. Gotta read the ebook again, but now there are over a hundred holds. I read it right away 2 years ago. lol Found the gem on the monthly book thread.

I know your thread was a month ago but I wanted to respond. Maybe inspire others to see it now that it will make its way up the foodchain.