Honored Contributor

Re: film version of A MAN CALLED OVE nominated for an Oscar

I loved the book and am looking forward to the movie. Movies are never as good as the book if you read it first. 

Trusted Contributor

I read the book, loved it, and then saw the movie. I've never said this before, but I think I liked the movie even more than the book. It was done just perfectly, and one of the best movies I've seen in years. 

The author has another book out titled, "My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry." I'm about halfway through, and like it even better than Ove. 

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

I read the book, loved it, and then saw the movie. I've never said this before, but I think I liked the movie even more than the book. It was done just perfectly, and one of the best movies I've seen in years. 

The author has another book out titled, "My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry." I'm about halfway through, and like it even better than Ove. 

@KaySD, there are two more and one on the way in March!

"Britt-Marie Was Here" (same Britt-Marie as in the book you're reading)

"And the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer:  A Novella"

and coming in April --

"Beartown:  A Novel"

Frequent Contributor

I have it next to my reading chair, it's supposed to be excellent.

Honored Contributor

Did not read the book but LOVED the film.  Hope it wins.

Trusted Contributor

Did not know it was made into a movie. I loved the book & will look for the movie. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Forgot I had commented on this several weeks ago.  Thought it was another thread.

Honored Contributor

I read the book...loved it and have lent it to many other people who also felt the same way.

then I saw the movie at a theater and didn't have high hopes for it, but loved it just as much!   The rapport between Ove and Parveneh (spelling?)was so sweet.  

I wanted to to see the movie again and was thrilled to see it on Comcast On Demand.  

I hope it it wins an Oscar!

Honored Contributor

lori, I think you'll like it. It was very true to the book except for certain things-I think I mentioned that they could have delved more into other characters per the book. He was perfect. The flashbacks were well done but I didn't picture the wife like that or the young Ove like that. (who would name their kid Ove-hahahaha. Only in Sweden. Everyone pronounces it differently here). I'm thinking of getting a Saab.

I got my movie from Netflix by mail.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, it's a two-day rental On Demand so I'm hoping to get it tonight and watch it again tomorrow night.  Can't wait!   Saved it on purpose because I knew this would be a rough week and this is my reward!