Super Contributor

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

This is the true story of a brilliant neurosugeon who was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. As a note: he had never smoked. He writes this book to see if he can see the meaning of a life lived well.

I saw an interview Katie Couric had done with his wife and was so intrigued I had to buy the book.

Incredible that through all he was dealing with, he could write this and share with others. He did get to see his first child born and he wanted to make sure his son knew through this book, that he had lived a good life.

I highly recommend this book. Very poignant, heartbreaking and honest.

Vicki

Honored Contributor

Re: When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

@vicki is ok, Thanks for putting that up. I am now #8 on the waitlist at the library for this book. Maybe by Sep. I'll get it. LOL. I read about this on line yesterday and thought I'd really like to read this.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting this.  I read about this new book in my Sunday paper.

After reading about the book I came away thinking, "this is a worthwhile book" and perhaps everyone should read it.

Valued Contributor

I just put it on hold at my library and I'm #595 with 47 copies in stock.  I probably won't see it until September either.

Respected Contributor

This book was not initially available through my kindle library so I recommended they get it, and hallelujah, now it is available.  They sent me an email (because I requested it) and I'm now 2nd in line for it!  

Esteemed Contributor

For years I've been reading a blog called "A Cup of Jo." It's written by a woman named Joanna Goddard who was Paul Kalanithi's sister-in-law. Paul's widow, Lucy, is Joanna's twin sister so there have been numerous posts about her sister and Paul over the years. There's a picture of the sisters up from Friday's post because the two are celebrating their birthdays. 

When Paul died he had one child, a daughter named Elizabeth Acadia "Cady" Kalanithi born on July 4, 21014. Paul died March 9, 2015. 

I had been reading about this couple over the years because Joanna would post about them now and then, and reading about his death was so, so sad. These words he wrote to his daughter, from his book, are so sweet.

"When you come to one of the many moments in life when you must give an account of yourself, provide a ledger of what you have been, and done, and meant to the world, do not, I pray, discount that you filled my days with a sated joy, a joy unknown to me in all my prior years, a joy that does not hunger for more and more, but rests, satisfied. In this time, right now, that is an enormous thing".

– Paul Kalanithi

Thank you @vicki is ok for posting about this book and reminding me I wanted to read it. Also, thanks to  @qualitygal for reminding me I can get it at the library. I'm now officially on the waitlist. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I read this yesterday. Raw and sad but written so eloquently - I highly recommend it. It's a quick but heavy read.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got my copy! Thought it would be Sep. Haven't gotten to far yet, but I will get into it soon. So hopefully those of you on your library waitlist get the call soon too.

Edited to add: I read it, it is as the other's have said. It's really sad that he didn't get to go on with his plans, but we just never know what life has in store for us.