The Singles Game, by Lauren Weisberger

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Re: What are you reading? OCTOBER 2016

@rustee wrote:

OverDrive audiobook/final book for October ~

Candy Corn Murder by Leslie Meier

(Cozy mystery/latest Lucy Stone tale in Tinker's Cove, Maine/

Pumpkin Fest/dead participant/Lucy's husband is suspect #1)

@rustee I loved your review of Candy Corn Murder.  It was a great description in a nutshell.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012  May I ask what's so 'special' about your fudge?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Been making it since 1985 every year 5 pounds with peanut butter on the bottom layer and chocolate on the top.  Still use the Hershey Cocoa  recipe and not the simpler version with milk chips.  Double Decker Fudge keeps me invited every Thanksgiving to my former in-laws table even though we divorced in 1999.  He knows he is not invited but his ex-wife still is.  I think it is the fudge but they say it is me since we do still see each other all through out the year without fudge in sight.  Former in-laws are still family especially with some sugar in the mix!!Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012  That is too sweet. (and I'm sure the fudge is, too, lol) I still make the Hershey's cocoa recipe, too, on the few occasions that I make it. I could with no problem eat the whole thing myself.

Honored Contributor

lori, I got the Dust and Shadow book. It wasn't supposed to come in so quickly! I have 2 books waiting in the wings and so as I'm leaving the library I spy a book that's right down my street (or up my alley, whichever). It's about  Paris during WWll. Espionage thriller it appears. Couldn't resist picking that one up, too, which gives me 2 at home waiting, 1 being read, and now 2 new ones today. Funny about the Holmes book. It isn't that old but the pages are yellowed, like it's about 40 years old! I wonder if it was intentional. Was your book like that or did you buy it?

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, no, I got the paperback and the pages are white.  That's ironic, about the library copy.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  I know.  It's only 7 years old. Very strange-could Holmes be trying to tell us something? Is this a clue? Like, I dislike anyone but Conan to write about me? 

Super Contributor

Read Dark Matter by Blake Crouch.  It's a science thriller.  Loved it.  It might not be for everyone.  I have a basic understanding of physics so it wasn't an issue. 

Kindred by Octavia Butler.   Loved it.  If you like distopia, sci-fi, post apocolypse etc you might like her books. She can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Respected Contributor

I read Taken (Robert Crais).  The luster on this series has worn off for me.  Carol Starkey makes a very brief appearance in it. 

Also read Pushing Up Daisies (M.C.Beaton).  Typical Agatha Raisin.

The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde), an alternate reality adventure where literary characters go missing.  This is the first in the series about Thursday Next, Special Ops in Literary Detection.   Different and clever.

I'm on to the 2nd in the Thursday Next series, Lost In A Good Book.

And I also have Precious and Grace, the newest in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series.