Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are you reading? OCTOBER 2016

@Judaline wrote:

sunny, funny you should say that about Dennis Lehane. I have read the first two and just ordered the third. I put Elvis Cole aside for a bit 'cause I'm on a Lehane roll. I saw the end of the movie, Gone Baby Gone-had seen it but since I now knew it was from one of DL's books, I looked at the cast. They had Casey Affleck as Patrick and this doesn't work for me at all. He's just a kid! This is Hollywood at its worst (and it's not that I don't like the Afflecks-both of them-because I do). I'm sorry about The Drop but I'm glad it's short.

Hi @Judaline I was glad it was short too!

I am going to have to watch the movie, The Drop, because James Gandolfini played a starring role. I will watch anything he's in, as I loved him and he was a very wonderful actor. Apparently what happened with that book was that Dennis Lehane wrote the screenplay first, and then sort of turned it into a novella. I guess that's why I didn't enjoy it all that much. I hope the movie is better.

I don't know if I read Gone Baby Gone. I'll have to check my list.

I pulled the bookmark on Carousel Court by Joe McGinniss. After a chapter I began hating it big time, so off it went to the PTB in the sky.

I am going to start reading Leave Me by Gayle Forman. I've got several excellent library eBooks on my Kindle, including The German Girl which I really want to read. But I'll try Leave Me as it sounds light and interesting.

Happy reading!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline@sunala, the reviews for Gone Baby Gone on Goodreads are compelling.  It's on my list now.  Thanks for the mention.  LM

Trusted Contributor

I just finished Breakfast with Buddha by Roland Merullo. It's about a man who is on a road trip with his sister's friend and spiritual tutor. I enjoyed this book a lot and will be looking into his subsequent books also.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  I saw the movie long before I ever even heard of Dennis Lehane. It was good, I remember, but that's all. So I guess when it's next in line, I'll read that book, too. But I refuse to picture Casey Affleck as Patrick. 

Honored Contributor

Finished Phillip Margolin's Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe series) and enjoyed it. Amanda Jaffe is an attorney and in defending her clients, usually solves the crime. It is very similar to his other books on this series. The earlier ones are better.

Going to start on another Phillip novel WOMAN WITH A GUN. A stand alone novel so hoping it is better than his cookie cutter series.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just finished Escape Clause, the newest book by John Sandford in the Virgil Flowers series.  Wow!  This was a great book, but warning:  it is violent.  It is about investigating the kidnapping of two tigers from the Minnesota zoo.  I love the characters in this series. 

Trusted Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I just finished Escape Clause, the newest book by John Sandford in the Virgil Flowers series.  Wow!  This was a great book, but warning:  it is violent.  It is about investigating the kidnapping of two tigers from the Minnesota zoo.  I love the characters in this series. 

@sandy53 - I just finished this book as well.  Very exciting and action-packed.  Might be hard for animal lovers to read.

Honored Contributor

The Art of Arranging Flowers by Lynne Branard.  

Just finished this book last night.  I loved this book so much.  It really touched me on so many levels.  I know nothing about flowers only that I love them!

A lady who has experienced personal tragedy in her life, has somewhat closed herself off  in her personal life but yet she does so much to enhance the lives of others.  She owns a small floral shop and seems to be the center of the lives of others in the small town she lives in.  She meets a person who helps her open herself up again to the possibilities of love on so many levels.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I posted this yday but didn't come through for some darn reason. 

I finished Jane Smiley's Duplicate Keys and what a waste of my time.  I wished I ptb but I got through it. 

I'm going to read Jamie Quinn Mystery Collection:  Box Set Books 1-3 by Barbara Venkataraman.  She was nice enough to contact me on GR and ask if I would read these and review them.  Cozy mystery series.

Frequent Contributor

Spoiler

I just finished  Who Do You Love by Jennifer Weiner, a nice light read.  Don't know what to start next, maybe one of the pile of unread ones on my book shelf and not travel to the library for a while.