Trusted Contributor

Re: What are you reading? OCTOBER 2016

I have been keeping busy with lots of new books from the library.  I read Joanne Fluke"s "CHRISTMAS CARAMEL MURDER", Leslie Meier's "BRITISH MANOR MURDER", and Alan Bradley's new Flavia book, "THRICE THE BRINDED CAT HATH MEW'D".  I enjoyed them all, in different ways.  Next up are James Patterson's "MISSING" from the Private series and Charlaine Harris' "ALL THE LITTLE LIARS", from her Aurora Teagarden series.  Next Tuesday, Alexander McCall's Smith's new book, "PRECIOUS AND GRACE" will be available (from the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series), and I am really looking forward to that.  I love his books.

Honored Contributor

I'm reading a book club selection, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, it's kinda of slow soo far.......

tree.jpg

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

I'm reading a book club selection, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, it's kinda of slow soo far.......

tree.jpg

I read this as a young girl. It mad a big impression on me. @SydneyH

Respected Contributor

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a timeless classic. I particularly love the chapter about the Christmas tree. I used to have my high school students read that--the message is so powerful, especially about the man swearing at the children.

Respected Contributor

Just finished The Woman in Cabin 10. Loved it! I ordered it for my daughter-in-law because it's gripping and you can't put it down.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH You could cut to the chase and see the movie. That movie has stuck with me.

Honored Contributor

@sunala With 100 pages to go, I'm still not liking stuffy Caroline. But I have hopes. Did they ever explain  The Lilac Girls meaning? I love the cover of the book but I wonder who they are? It made me think they would all meet up and be together but I can't see that happening. Anyway, whoever made the cover, captured the era.

Respected Contributor

I just finished Hanover House by Brenda Novak, the first in a series about a psychiatrist who studies serial killers and criminal minds.

Now I'm reading Barefoot in White by Roxanne St. Claire. Much lighting reading than the last book!

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

Miracle by Danielle Steele.

It was a nice little book.  Very short, very easy to read.  I like her stories, they are heartwarming and sweet.  If you need something to read, which is not heavy you don't have to put thought into, this is a good one.  I will just briefly describe what it is about.  A  very wealthy older man, loses his wife.  He worked so much and never really was there for his family.  Now, he is alone and has many regrets.  2 people come into his life who change his life in ways he could never have imagined.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Finished and loved Tara Clancy's The Clancys of Queens (nf).   This was a early reviewer Library Thing win.

Onto something different for me.  Laurell K. Hamilton's A Stroke of Midnight (#4 in this series).  Hopefully I can follow it w/out reading the first 3 first.